Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've gotta let it sit for a month!! Need advice..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've gotta let it sit for a month!! Need advice..

I've got my bike running absolutely great but have a question. I'm going to be leaving the US for about a month and my bike will sit idle. How can I protect my carbs? Should I turn the gas off and burn the gas out of the carbs so they'll be empty?...or should I let it sit with the carbs full of gas? Thanks
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Just put some gas stabil in the tank and run it lone enough so that it gets into the carbs

Comment

Stay-bil is the way to go, mixed correctly it can keep gas fresh for up to or over a year, very good stuff.

follow the instructions on the bottle and ride the bike for a few miles to make sure it reaches the carbs, then remove the battery and store it in a cool place. it would be preferable if the battery was cleaned, topped off and charged fully before storing.
      I would recommend not leaving the battery on a charger un attended while you are away, if the battery is good it will be OK for that short time, just give it a little charge when you return, before putting it back in the bike.

Comment

I also was wondering about this. I will be leaving the contry for about six months. Will the Stay-Bil work for that length of time? I realize you (focus) said it will protect the gas for a year but I still have my doubts/worries. Would it be better to take out the batteries and let it sit or have my wife start it for a few minutes a couple times a week even with the Stay-Bil?

Comment

Working...
        X