GS750 w/42mm pods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750 w/42mm pods

What do I need to do to the carbs? Sorry I'm such a bike noob Judging from what I read I need new needles? Where do I get those?

What year 750? If its the 77-79 8v 750 you simply need to get larger main jets, and then adjust the stock needle's position, as they came adjustable from the factory.

If your bike is the 80 and on 16valve 750, you will need to purchase a Dynojet kit. However, if you are indeed a newb, and have little to no experience, you should probably do quite a bit of reading before continuing. There are things you need to be aware of, and learn to recognize when tuning your bike for pods and/or a 4into1 header.

Let us know which bike you have, and we can assist further. Be aware however that running the bike without setting the carburetors up for the pod filters is BAD FOR YOUR MOTOR. The extra air that the pods allow into the motor will lean the fuel/air mix out, and make the bike run HOT, which can cause all sorts of internal damage to valves, pistons, rings, etc. You need to correct for the pods before running the bike any further or you could end up destroying the motor. Plus, the bike will simply run like crap, which makes for a not fun ride....we're here to help, so let us know whats going on, we will do our best. But, you need to be willing to do the work, and willing to listen to people who have done and do this stuff all the time and KNOW what they are talking about Welcome to the GS Resources! BTW... we like PICS!! Not of you, or your girl, or your mom, dad or dog, but of your mighty GS!! (though if your girl is hot, the guys will dig that too....

I sent you a Private message regarding this, I saw that you have an 8v 750, and ive done those a time or two, so i will be happy to help!
    Last edited by Guest; 08-17-2009, 04:38 AM.

Comment

TCK is correct! But once you get it set properly, you will have more power.

Eric

Comment

Where do you get jets from and how do you adjust the needles? I just got the pods a day ago. I got a 78' gs750 8v

Oh and I was thinking about adding 4 to 1 exhaust soon.

Comment

Jets are available at several sources, but I will let those who have bought them let you know who their favorite suppliers are.

I just thought I would let you know that if you plan on adding a header some time soon, you will have to re-jet again when you add that, so you might want to re-consider when to buy it and get it sooner. That way, you only have to re-jet once.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Jets from my local stealership are a tad over $3.00 each. You can purchase them on-line for less but then there is shipping and down-time to consider.

Eric

Comment

You think 115 minkuni would be ok? I can get them locally for $3/each. I am going to enjoy my stock exhaust for a bit to keep my bike more low profile. It's nice not getting pulled over for bs. I think 122.5 or 125 with exhaust?

Comment

It has been 27 years since the last time my 750 had the stock 26mm carbs on it that I do not remember the main jets. When it was an 850 with stock exhaust and 34CV carbs, the mains were 115. So, you might be close!
                Which carbs are on it presently? 32CV's?

Eric
                Last edited by Guest; 08-18-2009, 12:46 AM.

Comment

No that bike as 26mm VM mechanical carbs...

I'd say with the stock pipes, you should end up around 107.5 or 110. 115 might be a little on the rich side. Plug chops will tell ya. With a good VH exhaust you should be around 125 or 127.5ish.. needle around the 2nd clip from the bottom..might shim it to 2.5..

Make SURE that your intake boot orings are REPLACED. they likely never have been and that will provide a pathway for air (intake leak..) which will lean the bike out and make trouble for you when jetting.. You can pick those orings up from www.cycleorings.com cheap. The seller is a member here too..everyone buys their rings from him Great service to the GS community. Also, you may want to check/replace the exhaust gaskets too.. cheap parts that will go a long way to making things run better.

Comment

Working...
                  X