cam tensioner, about the spring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cam tensioner, about the spring

Is it ok to remove the nut to the knob and turn it 180 degrees counterclockwise to preload the spring a half turn and then reduce some chain rattle.Can this be done with the tensioner attached to the engine?Of course with the engine stopped.

Originally posted by Tompasio View Post
    Is it ok to remove the nut to the knob and turn it 180 degrees counterclockwise to preload the spring a half turn and then reduce some chain rattle.Can this be done with the tensioner attached to the engine?Of course with the engine stopped.
    Have you had the tensioner apart? If not, it might be good to take it apart and inspect it, put in a new spring, o-rings, gasket.

I am not sure about adding more pre-load. Someone more knowledgable then I will let you know.

Rick

Comment

Yes, assuming you can reach it, you can do this with the tensioner still attached.

Just make sure you set the engine at TDC before monkeying with the tensioner.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
        Yes, assuming you can reach it, you can do this with the tensioner still attached.

Just make sure you set the engine at TDC before monkeying with the tensioner.
        Yeah, wouldn't want the chain to skip a tooth when a valve spring turns the cams. But I'm in favor of taking it apart to make sure it's working correctly and smoothly. Unless you're sure the spring doesn't already have the correct preload, that is.
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Working...
        X