Couple Carb Questions- GS850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nanoluxx View Post
    I do have the ones i took out. If they compare correctly should I stick with the newer ones? Or say o well with the aftermarket kits I purchased and stay with the old ones if they seem undamaged?
    The rubber plugs seem to be in good shape and fit well.

the top of the outlet? i'm not sure where this part is.
    Many times the holes are not the right size, so if it says "115" it might actually be the equivalent of a 113 or a 117 or ... who knows what? It's that 'who knows what' part that is scary. As a rule, brass jets don't wear out, they just need a good cleaning. go ahead and keep your new parts in there, but if it does not run right when you are done, those would be the first things to suspect. There is always the chance that you got a fluke set that are actually accurate.

Where is the "top of the outlet"? Right here:

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hey Nanoluxx,

How about an update??
      sigpic

82 GS850
      78 GS1000
      04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
      .................________-|___\____
      ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Finally have the carbs clean, rebuilt, to specs, bench sync'd, and installed. Tomorrow I'm putting the airbox back on and hopefully finishing my gas tank. So far I have the rust and old paint ground off.. a few ruff spots bondo'd and sanded. I'm hoping my order of Por-15 comes in tomorrow so I can clean out the inside. Then all I'll need is a quick primer coat to seal it and I can put the tank on to test the bike out! Later on when I can afford fancy paint I'll sand it, re-primer, and paint for real.

If I can get it to crank and stay at a consistent idle hopefully I'll be vacuum syncing by mid week.

I'm pretty excited.

Comment

Excited, Im sure..

Did you go with the stock jets or are ya donna do some aftermarket stuff?
          What about the petcock, do anything with that?

I dont think I could wait to finish that tank to start it up.

Just curious cause Im about to go through my carbs as soon as I get all the parts, jets and gaskets. Already got the O-ring kit from Mr Bar and also did the intake o-ring.
          After removing the carbs I noticed that one of the vacume line werent connected to where ever its supposed to connect. Im thinking there must be a T connector linking two lines to the airbox instead of the one that was connected. Might have been most of my problem cause the carbs sure aint dirty. The jets look pretty mared up though and dang sure cant see the size on 3 outa 4 of em. Who knows, they may not even be the same size, lol..

Keep us posted!!
          sigpic

82 GS850
          78 GS1000
          04 HD Fatboy

Comment

Finally have the carbs clean, rebuilt, to specs, bench sync'd, and installed. Tomorrow I'm putting the airbox back on and hopefully finishing my gas tank. So far I have the rust and old paint ground off.. a few ruff spots bondo'd and sanded. I'm hoping my order of Por-15 comes in tomorrow so I can clean out the inside. Then all I'll need is a quick primer coat to seal it and I can put the tank on to test the bike out! Later on when I can afford fancy paint I'll sand it, re-primer, and paint for real.

If I can get it to crank and stay at a consistent idle hopefully I'll be vacuum syncing by mid week.

I'm pretty excited.
            Please don't get in to big of a hurry. Follow the directions on the por-15 to the letter. Let it dry completely and throughly.
            It wasn't really planned this way but, when I por-15'd my tank, it sat for about two weeks before I ever put gas in it.
            Larry D
            1980 GS450S
            1981 GS450S
            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
              Please don't get in to big of a hurry. Follow the directions on the por-15 to the letter. Let it dry completely and throughly.
              It wasn't really planned this way but, when I por-15'd my tank, it sat for about two weeks before I ever put gas in it.
              How does the P-15 hold up? I've heard mixed opinions about it.
              I used it on a 63 Nova once, but not in a fuel tank.
              sigpic

82 GS850
              78 GS1000
              04 HD Fatboy

Comment

The peacock seems to be working fine. I took it out and cleaned it a bit... but I dont see a need to replace it until I know there is a problem.

I have the aftermarket jets in now.. but if it does not run right, I'll swap um out with the originals. I did the intake O-rings as well as the rubber boots connecting to the head.

If they are the ones I'm thinking about, the two rubber lines coming out of your carb are not ment to be connected to anything.

Read through this info page on Basscliffs site:

Thanks for the tip Larry... I'll try to not be to hasty.

jayson-

Originally posted by Octain View Post
                Excited, Im sure..

Did you go with the stock jets or are ya donna do some aftermarket stuff?
                What about the petcock, do anything with that?

I dont think I could wait to finish that tank to start it up.

Just curious cause Im about to go through my carbs as soon as I get all the parts, jets and gaskets. Already got the O-ring kit from Mr Bar and also did the intake o-ring.
                After removing the carbs I noticed that one of the vacume line werent connected to where ever its supposed to connect. Im thinking there must be a T connector linking two lines to the airbox instead of the one that was connected. Might have been most of my problem cause the carbs sure aint dirty. The jets look pretty mared up though and dang sure cant see the size on 3 outa 4 of em. Who knows, they may not even be the same size, lol..

Keep us posted!!

Comment

Well dang dont I feel like a fool.

I saw that one titled, "where do these hoses go" or something like that but its one I didnt read.

Sheesh!
                  sigpic

82 GS850
                  78 GS1000
                  04 HD Fatboy

Comment

np. =) POr'n my tank now. On the second stage. So far so good, My duck tap job on the first go didn't hold very well so the cleaning process had to be called off a little early but I think it did the job. =/ Well it better have, cuz I can;t afford another POR-15 set. ha.

Comment

np. =) POr'n my tank now. On the second stage. So far so good, My duck tap job on the first go didn't hold very well so the cleaning process had to be called off a little early but I think it did the job. =/ Well it better have, cuz I can;t afford another POR-15 set. ha.

Yeah, stuff aint cheap
                      sigpic

82 GS850
                      78 GS1000
                      04 HD Fatboy

Comment

Working...
                      X