GS Mechanic in Kansas City Area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS Mechanic in Kansas City Area

Reposting here as suggested by another member.

Does anyone know of a GS mechanic in the Kansas City area (or within an hour drive of KC)? I have a 1978 GS 1000E in running condition, but I also have a 1980 GS550E that won't start. I think the GS550's problem is an electrical or ignition problem (stator, coils, ignitor?). I don't know if I can troubleshoot it myself, so I want to hook up with a competent vintage GS mechanic in my area. I don't care if it's a professional technician or a willing shade-tree type, any referrals appreciated.

Thanks

I'll stick my neck out and say that I'm familiar with the GS models. I can probably help if you would like. Shoot me an email at jhiebl@everestkc.net Let me know what's going on with the bike and I'll try to help you find your way. There is a small group of GS'ers around here and somebody can probably help you through the problems.

Jim
    GS Score Card
    4-400 Series GS's
    3-500 Series
    1-600 Series
    1-700 Series
    4-800 Series
    1-1000 Series
    2-1100 series 1982 GS1100G In stable now
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jimfj View Post
      I'll stick my neck out and say that I'm familiar with the GS models. I can probably help if you would like. Shoot me an email at jhiebl@everestkc.net Let me know what's going on with the bike and I'll try to help you find your way. There is a small group of GS'ers around here and somebody can probably help you through the problems.

Jim
      I started this thread in the GS Discussion Forum but reiterated here at another member's suggestion. Hopefully the following excerpts from my posts/responses there will apprise you of the situation, for a starting point (no pun intended).

NO Spark. Fresh battery, cranks fast but no fire in any plug.

The bike was running a couple of years ago, but somebody (yah, that guy in the mirror) tried to jump start it from an automobile battery and it hasn't been able to be started since. I think the car was probably running at the time, but couldn't say for sure. If it was, what is the most likely component to have gotten fried?

I have visually checked all the fuses, and have either found them okay or replaced them.

Thanks,
      capuett

Comment

Continuing the Discussion

Although I reposted this thread to the "Technical Info" forum, the discussion is off and running in the "GS Motorcycle Discussion Area" forum. So, if you'd like to chime in, please bring it over to the GS Motorcycle Discussion Area forum. The thread has the same name there, "GS Mechanic in Kansas City Area."

Thanks,

capuett

Comment

but somebody (yah, that guy in the mirror) tried to jump start it from an automobile battery and it hasn't been able to be started since
          More than likely you fried your ignitor. Replacements are expensive, you may want to consider a dyna s ignition system, they cost about $120. Much cheaper than an oem ignitor.

Comment

Thanks to member "brveagle," we got the GS550 started last weekend! We swapped out the ignitor from a GS550T parts bike I had on hand. FYI the 32900-47320 ignitor from the GS550T worked in place of the 32900-47020 ignitor that was on the GS550E, but you do have to cut/splice to replace the connector on the 47320 with the connector on the 47020.

Now the bad news. The following morning I went out to start the bike, after having changed the oil and filling the tank with premium gas, and the spark was gone. The battery was on a Battery Tender all night before, and should have been well charged; plus it's an almost new battery. I still had the tender hooked up when I cranked the bike, but that shouldn't have fried the ignitor since its output is only 750mA.

Does anyone have any thoughts about if/or what might cause the bike to fry an ignitor "spontaneously," or was it just a fluke?

Comment

Working...
            X