stock chain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stock chain

I have a 1983 Suzuki GS750 ES. The chain popped and I want to buy a new ORing chain. Well, the rear sprocket on the back has 46 teeth but from what im finding online and from most people that Ive talked to say that it should be a 43 tooth sprocket. If thats the case then what size chain do I need to get or do I get a new set of sprockets also. There doesnt seem to be anything wrong with the sprockets on there now. It was the original chain that popped and the ORing chain that I found says its a 530 which Im not sure what that means. If anyone has run into this problem let me know. Thanks.

Contact Z1 Enterprises .. they will hook you up.

I would suggest changing both sprockets at the same time as the chain.

Comment

Sounds like someone already converted that bike to a 530 chain.

And yes, new sprockets are mandatory with a new chain.

Z1 will hook you up.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Crema28,

Yes, stock your bike had 14/43 sprockets. I just stopped by to say, "HooooowwDY!"

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

the fellows are right. call z-1. they were more than helpful when i did the 530 conversion. the man took my number and said he wanted to run some figures to see if he could find a better ratio than what the conversion figures showed it should be. in about 30-45 min. he called back with the cog sizes i should use. how many places give that kind of service in person, much less, over the phone. ive allways been told to change the cogs when the chain is changed- extends the life of both. also z-1 has an x-ring chain thats supposed to last even longer than the o-ring...thats what i went with. good luck with it.

Comment

The 83 GS750 had a 530 chain from the factory. With 14 and 43 sprockets.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamDar View Post
              Well, I'm the first to admit I don't know much about the chained members of the GS family.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks!

Originally posted by TeamDar View Post
                Thanks for all of the help. I just called Z1 and theyre going to be contacting me soon. This bike has been one problem after another. Theres only 3 good months of riding For Me in Minnesota and Ive been down for 2 1/2 of them. I hope to get this thing resolved very soon.

Comment

Somebody probably went up to a 46 to get more accelleration, I went the otherway down to a 39 or 38 to get lower rpm on the highway.

Comment

Working...
                  X