Really stumped!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really stumped!

I bought an '82 gs1100l. Now that i have it, I'm having problems finding parts, the bike starts will run, but i think to carbs need to be rebuilt. I don't feel confident in taking on this task by myself. Should I keep the bike, or sell it? Are there any other models that the parts can be swapped? I need the choke switch, just smalls things to make the bike whole.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-18-2009, 12:37 PM.

Originally posted by superman400ex View Post
    I bought an '82 gs1100l. Now that i have it, I'm having problems finding parts, the bike starts will run, but i think to carbs need to be rebuilt. I don't feel confident in taking on this task by myself. Should I keep the bike, or sell it? Are there any other models that the parts can be swapped? I need the choke switch, just smalls things to make the bike whole.
    Welcome !!

No need to be stumped, all your answers are right here.
    First, I have some questions for you.
    Do you have some metric tools and basic wrenching skills ? You don't need to be a mechanic or anything, just know the difference between a wrench and a screwdriver....
    Do you have someplace to work on it, preferably covered, like a garage ? Sounds what going to need to be done are just basic stuff.

You're going to need to clean/dip and rebuild the carbs with some new o-rings. Now.....for the forty billionth time...this is not difficult to do. You need patience and some attention to detail. it's more time consuming than technically difficult. And then you'll need to adjust the valves. Again, easy peasy !!

My best recomendation is to spend a few hours readng through some info that pertains to what you'd like to do. There are years and years of great info on this site. It is hiding behind the search icon at the upper right of the forums pages. Educate yourself for a day of two and it will maike anything you need to do easy.

Good Luck.
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

You can rebuild the carbs yourself or send them to one of us that do them all the time. I charge 160 bucks, plus parts to do them, so you would be looking at arount 260 + return shipping to you. Ray.

Comment

Hello Mr. Superman

I'm afraid to own a GS is to have a desire to get your hands dirty working on it. These bikes are bullet proof once they have been treated to some preliminary care. I urge you to consider taking on the maintenance tasks yourself, the members here have a ton knowledge and they will help you, you'll learn how to do it and believe me it will be worth it in the end.

Mr. BassCliff will be along shortly with his "welcome wagon" but take some time to look through his website http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/. There you will find a complete write up on exactly how to strip down, clean and rebuild the carbs http://www.mtsac.edu/%7Ecliff/storag...ing_Series.pdf. New o-rings can be obtained from a GSR member at cycleorings.com. The top ten issues to address is a good place to start also. Just doing those will prevent a lot of issues.

Not exactly sure what parts you're in need of (a picture is always a good idea) but it's very likely some kind member here will have what you're looking for and be able to pass it on.

There is a common interest here in keeping the life blood of these machines running.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
        It's smoke that make electronic components work.
        Every time I've let the smoke out by mistake, they never work again.
        '80 GS250T... long gone... And back!
        '86 Honda Bol D'Or... very sadly long gone
        '82 GS1000SZ
        '82 GS1100GL
        '01 Honda CBR1100XX BlackBird

Comment

Working...
        X