changing chain and spockets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

changing chain and spockets

I'm in the middle of swapping to 530 chain. Cut the old chain off with a sawsall, easy......took off the back wheel and old sprocket, easy. Cleaning stuff up (a little) is nasty........

My problem.......I cannot turn the nut on the front sprocket. I bend back the little tab, I've tried an impact driver, big metal pipe on the ratchet while I try to hold a screwdriver in place to keep the sprocket from turning (it's in gear, but obviously it still moves).....it's swimming in PB Blaster......

Anybody have a trick. '82 GS1100E
    "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...dStatesMap.jpg

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

I'll watch with baited breath. I have one that needs to come off, too. The trick is to loosen the nut while the chain is still on..with the back brake applied.

In my case the motor is out of the bike.
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

3/4" impact gun with a reducer to the 32mm/1.25" socket will definitely take it OFF! I might have the socket size wrong...
      In gear, out of gear, brake applied, etc. Does not matter.
      I have two of them, Bruce.

Eric
      Last edited by Guest; 08-21-2009, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
        I'll watch with baited breath. I have one that needs to come off, too. The trick is to loosen the nut while the chain is still on..with the back brake applied.

In my case the motor is out of the bike.
        If'n I'd a only thought of that first. This is the way I usually do things, though - 56 years of constant learning opportunities.
        "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...dStatesMap.jpg

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Comment

Two tricks....either slide a 2x4 or similiar through the back wheel to keep it from spinning
          -or-
          have someone on the bike and push on the back brake.

Both work well.
          Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by 67fire View Post
            3/4" impact gun with a reducer to the 32mm/1.125" socket will definitely take it OFF! I might have the socket size wrong...
            In gear, out of gear, brake applied, etc. Does not matter.
            I have two of them, Bruce.

Eric
            I have an air impact, but not the right socket. I'll have to borrow yours and give it a try. Thanks!
            85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
              Two tricks....either slide a 2x4 or similiar through the back wheel to keep it from spinning
              -or-
              have someone on the bike and push on the back brake.

Both work well.
              His wheel is off and the chain has been cut.
              85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

had the same problem. thought since id had that nut off last year it would come of fine with the air wrench, so i removed my chain and back wheel first. needless to say the impact wrench did nothing even with the front cog braced with a wrench to keep it from spinning. after an hour and a half of pb blasting, heating and cooling and smacking on it with a hammer to break it loose i finally took a breaker bar and a long piece of pipe over the end for a bigger lever and gave it a big hard yank about 3 or4 times before it broke. it was pure rust in the threads that had it locked down tight. good luck buddy; you'll definately earn that 530 conversion. lol.

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
                  His wheel is off and the chain has been cut.
                  Doh !!!
                  One day I'll learn to read more better......
                  Larry D
                  1980 GS450S
                  1981 GS450S
                  2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Well, he does have a new rear sprocket and chain....
                    put them on loosen the front and replace the front sprocket

Job done

Comment

I had this problem changing the front sprocket on a friend's KLR where the chain was too worn for the brake trick. The 1/2" impact didn't work and we ended up splitting the nut with a dremel tool. Now he has a GS countershaft nut.

Comment

Originally posted by Clone View Post
                        Well, he does have a new rear sprocket and chain....
                        put them on loosen the front and replace the front sprocket

Job done
                        He's converting to a smaller pitch chain.

Tony.
                        '82 GS1100E

Comment

A 530 chain will actually FIT a 630 sprocket, enough to hold it in place. N1Elkyfan mistakenly ran a 630 chain on a 530 front sprocket thru a whole rally...

Comment

Wrap what remains of the old chain around the sprocket and out around the swingarm. clamp with visegrips or similar to the arm and go for it with rattle gun or breaker bar.
                            And learn from the experience.

Good luck

Greg T

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
                              Wrap what remains of the old chain around the sprocket and out around the swingarm. clamp with visegrips or similar to the arm and go for it with rattle gun or breaker bar.
                              And learn from the experience.

Good luck

Greg T
                              Putting the old chain on is what I'd do. However, instead of clamping it to the swingarm, use some bailing wire and tie the chain together. A few wraps of that stuff will hold it long enough to break the chain free.

Comment

Working...
                              X