Motor rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motor rebuild

I just purchased a gs frame and motor. I am planning on "playing" with this a bit. I am looking at bore-ing the motor, and putting in oversize pistons. Its a 750 motor. The motor on my '78 750E is also needing a rebuild and I figure I can build one while still being able to ride.

So.....the questions:

Boring the cylinders a little bigger: will I have to rejet the carbs or will the stock ones be fine. Stock filter-and pipe. (For now) Can I keep the carbs exactly where they are now. Just slap them on the motor.

How much over should I go? Just enuf to take out the egg shape or the bigger the better?

Pistons? Rods? Bearing? Gaskets? - Where do I get these?

Has anyone done this rebuild? Any advice is very much appreciated. I have bee researching parts and just wanted to see if anyone knows where I can get them cheaper. I will not go to the dealer unless absolutely nesscessary!!! I plan on taking pics thru the whole process and will post them.

Thanks in advance

If you are planning Stock rebuild check on suzuki parts. For more of a preformance rebuild Check for wisco piston kits either one will cost money as for the crankshaft If it aint broken don't worry about it. The cranks have very durable roller bearings on your 78/ 2 valve motor It is also a MAJOR expense to rebuild a crankshaft. Take note if you use preformance pistons they are usually forged and are run with more clearance and you will have more piston noise when the engine is cold

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
      Take note if you use preformance pistons they are usually forged and are run with more clearance and you will have more piston noise when the engine is cold
      Just curious -- what is piston noise? What does it sound like?

Michael

Comment

Sloppa sloppa sloppa sloppa.......
        As long as it doesn't go potato potato you'll be alright 8)

These motors make all kinds of noises.....Don't let it worry you too much. Pay more attention to the Butt-Dyno. How it runs is more important than what it sounds like any day......

Comment

Hey Tim, you are pretty good with those sounds

Comment

Working...
          X