Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight woes

Hey all,

Probably a basic bike question...but Im still a newbie...so any 101 advice would be appreciated.

My bike is burning through headlight bulbs like there is no tomorrow. When I purchased the bike it orginally had a 80/60 h4 (weird number I know) Well after riding on a few a hundred miles it blew out... the 1st replacement a 100/90 also blew out in under a week.

Time to breakout the voltmeter...the voltage were on the money (at idle at least) and I noticed with the 3rd bulb that the light housing was getting too hot touch with even just the low beam on... Thinking back to my blowouts it appears that the 90+ degree weather and use of the high beam is just too much heat for the bulb to handle and it kills itself.

I noted that the headlight housing was sealed and just to keep riding I drilled a few small holes in the bottom and top of the housing to get some fresh air in there while cruising. Doing this, and the combination of moving down to a 60/55 bulb appears to have resolved the problem, but I have a feeling the first bit of rain I catch is going to wind up inside the housing and going to fry yet another bulb.

I would much prefer to have to brighter bulbs for night riding..
    Anyone have any ideas? I've already ordered another housing to replace my 'vented' housing.

Thanks,
    G

Bulb

I think now that you're running a 60/55 (which I'm pretty sure is the recommended bulb) you'll have no more problems.
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

keeping out the rain

In my many years of riding and or driving nothing that would be considered new.......I beleave Duct Tape or J B weld will seal just about anything

Comment

LOL... well thanks for the replies and the laughes...its good to hear that the application of duct tape and black tape have the same effect on motorcycles as that of pretty much everything else I own

Chuck, You are correct... the stock spec calls for 60/55 bulbs.

I have to admit that I would still like to step up to brighter bulb... even just those 20 extra watts made a huge difference on some dark nights.

But, beggars can't be chosers... and I'd much rather ride on a 60w bulb all the way home on a dark night then half way home with a bulb thats twice as bright and then call a friend for the ride for the other half.

Thanks again for all the input...

Comment

Here is a thread from another of the forums that may be helpful for a headlight option.

Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Working...
          X