Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Repair Kits

Hey all.

I've got the carbs for my 1980 GS850G pulled and getting ready to clean/rebuild them per the AWESOME pictorial linked on the home page.

My question is this...

I have a Dennis Kirk catalog showing $21.99 for a carb repair kit for my bike. The description states that the kit includes all necessary gaskets, O-rings, float valve assembly and float needle to rebuild one original equipment carb. Does this mean I need 4 of them? That can be quite expensive. However, if that's what I HAVE to do, then so be it. Just wish it didn't cost so much.

Craig

Yep......a kit is for 1 carb only.
    Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
    "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
    1982 GS1100E
    1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

Shucks! This may take a little longer than I thought....

Thanks for responding so quickly!

Cragar 8)

Comment

Craig, you can replace just the o-rings for about $12 from a guy named Robert Barr if you have the CV type carbs. You can email him here robert.barr@worldnet.att.net

Comment

Cragar,

Are you sure you need 4 kits though? Sometimes, depending on condition of your carb parts, you can get by with just 1 or 2. It's nice to have 4 kits, to ensure that all parts are "identical".......but not always necessary. I would disassemble carbs first, and see what really needs to be replaced.

Owner of:
          1982 GS1100E

Comment

Thanks guys.

Do I know that I need 4 kits? Not in the least. In fact, I just did get them removed from the bike and have yet to even disassemble anything.

I'm relatively new to all of this (currently taking a motorcycle repair tech course and this is my project bike) so I'm just trying to cover whatever bases I need to beforehand as well as reading/studying as much as possible. In other words, I'm trying to prepare myself as best as I can. Mentally and financially.

I only want to take the carbs apart 1 at a time and figured I should go ahead and begin replacing O-rings since the bike has 44,000 miles on it. I'm not too sure of my "gasket removal" ability and am just making preparations.

Cragar 8)

Comment

Craig, even if you do tear a float bowl gasket they can be replaced for about $5 or $6 bucks so it is still a whole lot cheaper then buying all 4 kits. If you need a link to get the just the float bowl gasket let me know.

Comment

Please....post the link!

Thanks.

Cragar 8)

Comment

(Beat ya to it, Daniel )

Owner of:
                  1982 GS1100E

Comment

Working...
                  X