Back end problems reappear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back end problems reappear

Last summer I was have rear wheel alignment problems. My bike would lean to the left all the time, so I took it to a dealership. They said the problem was the steering bearings, so I got those replaced.

Now I'm having the same problem. I'm afraid to take it on the highway because it feels very loose in the handlebars and the lean gets worse at speed. I fiddled with the alignment bolts all last summer and I still couldn't figure it out. Not only that, but when I decelerate in gear, the chain always makes a clicking noise as it hits something. I've tightened it numerous times, but it always comes back.

Does anyone who has expertise in this field wanna take a look at it? I have a feeling the dealership will screw me if I take it there.

Has the bike been in an accident. Syptoms of a bent frame are bike unstable on the road and the chain rubbing (out of alighnment).

Comment

I can't speak for the PO, but I've never gotten in an accident. It was fine when I got it 3 years ago but last summer/fall it started acting up.

Comment

There's got to be someone around the Chicago area that can com around and have a look for you.
        CMON GUYS!!

Comment

I would be happy to come take a look. My schedule is wide open. I would be coming from Montgomery, Il.
          Let me know.

Bigbri
          sigpic

1980 GS1000G in the shop!

Past Bikes
          1979 GS850G
          1978 GS750
          1973 GT380

Comment

Originally posted by ShirleySerious View Post
            I can't speak for the PO, but I've never gotten in an accident. It was fine when I got it 3 years ago but last summer/fall it started acting up.
            If you have a main stand, use it now. Check out the swing arm for broken welds and cracks any where on the assy. Look closely at the adjuster locks and check the bearings for excessive axial movement. Remove the chain guard and inspect the surrounding areas for tell tale sighs of chain movement. Check that the front sprocket isn't loose and/or excessively worn. What doe's the rear sprocket look like for wear?

The symptoms you describe can be caused by incorrect bearing preload at the steering head too. Might pay to investigate that again.
            The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
            GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
            GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
            GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
            http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by 49er View Post
              The symptoms you describe can be caused by incorrect bearing preload at the steering head too. Might pay to investigate that again.
              For sure ! The shop may not have known how to properly adjust the head bearings. Make sure the fork clamps on the trees are loose before you make those adjustments. How is your chain ? Any sticky links ?
              82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

How old are the chain and sprockets??? How many miles are on them? Do you clean and lube it as you should? A bum chain will cause the feeling of a squirley rear end when it starts to bind and kink on the sprockets...

Comment

Bad swingarm and wheel bearings will skew the rear wheel under power. Put the bike on the centerstand and check for any play in the components (grab the wheel and shake). Also, stand way back and see how the wheel aligns with the frame AND the front wheel. Absolutely also check the front steering bearings and wheel bearings too.

Comment

As above & also check tyres for correct pressure & inconsistant wear, particularly the front

Check wheel alignment with a long straight edge & steel rule, do not rely on the marks on the arm

tone

Comment

Just took a look at the rear wheel today. There's a little rust (from the climate) but nothing seems to be bent or broken. The sprocket appears to be in good shape. The adjuster screws go all the way in without tightening the chain a whole lot. I think it might be time for a new chain. Some of the links bind together. I'm trying to figure out what size I need and where to get it, though, any suggestions?

Comment

Not to sound like a jerk, and if I do im sorry, but if you have rust on your chain and sprockets it sounds like you need to clean and lubricate the chain more often than you are. If the chain is binding up, it needs to be replaced, along with the sprockets. Changing the chain and not the sprockets will simply wear the chain out FAST. They wear as a unit.

Comment

Any recommendations as to where I would get a chain and/or sprocket? How do I find out what size?

Comment

Hi,

See this CHART on my website.

For the '78 GS550E the stock sprockets/chain combination is 15/50 using a 530 chain with 116 links.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks for the help. I just removed the rear wheel and front sprocket cover to save time when I get my stuff. Anyone know if that huge nut holding on the front sprocket is easy to remove?

Comment

Working...
                              X