aluminum swing arm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

aluminum swing arm

Bought an aluminum swing arm from a 80-83 gs1100 thinking it was a direct fit for my `79 GS 1000E. Aluminum arm won`t fit I`ll have to mod the frame and lose my rear passenger pegs and the muffler mounting bolt hole XXXX!!!
    I have the aluminum footrest mounting brackets from an 1100. Are these direct fit after modding for the swing arm or will I need to do more cutting and cursing?
    sigpic1979 GS 1000E:cool:
    Southside Chicago

You sure it doesnt fit? What is the reason it doenst? I know alot of guys have done this and its been a direct swap? Is something bent on your frame like the rear peg frame bracketry?

Comment

It was a direct fit everytime I did it for a GS1000, although it does get close to rear footpeg mount. Maybe your bike fell over and bent that bracket in a little. You can spread those brackets a little with a car jack.

The 1000 has rear brackets welded to the frame. 1100 rear brackets are probably not bolt-on ready.

Comment

swingarm fit

My frame does not look bent. The old swing arm goes in and out with no problem. The aluminum swing arm seems too wide and hits the frame at the rear peg mounts on both sides.
        Southside Chicago

Comment

I've done this swap a few times & its a direct fit so i'm guessing that either there's an issue with your frame or you have not got the arm you think you have, is it stock or aftermarket ?

Lets keep it simple, how about posting up a pic of the arm & a pic of the rear of your frame then we can all see whats going on

cheers tone

Comment

Like said, just bend them out slightly. They must have been bent in a little, or the swingarm would fit right in.
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

You do get the occasional GS1000 frame where the rear footpeg mounts foul the swinger. The solution is to just bend those mounts out a tad (scissor jack is ideal).
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer
              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

You can easily use the '80-'81 1100 aluminum castings if you'd like to for the look. I did this on my '79 which also has the aluminum arm(although I did it because PO had hacked original brackets); you'll need the longer pivot(1100) bolt and longer rider-peg mounting bolts(1100). A tiny bit of grinding on the footpeg mounting bosses(to shorten them) may be required.

Comment

Ok will try the scissor jack to widen the bracket spacing.
                  Southside Chicago

Comment

Installed CalFab swinger, mi gs never fell down/bent yet I had to file the left side passenger frame bracket out a tad. Cannot recall does the round swinger articulate freely past the footpeg brackets? . . . because from a 3F standpoint you are only concerned with movement & interference from fully extended position up.
                    Steve

1979 GS1000E (45 Yrs), 1981 GPz550 (11 Yrs)

Comment

Installed the aluminum swing arm today with the help of my car scissor jack. It looks good!! Now I`ll rebuild my rear master cylinder then hopefully I`ll be able to take a ride.
                      Southside Chicago

Comment

swingarm installed easily after spreading the rear foot peg brackets withthe car jack. Thanks!!
                        Southside Chicago

Comment

Working...
                        X