Chain & Sprockets for the 83 GS750ES - Gearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain & Sprockets for the 83 GS750ES - Gearing

Kind of approaching the time when I'll need to be buying sprockets for this bike...

I have a 170 60 17 tyre going on it...

I believe I can get a 530 or a 520 set on it.

I would like to go with the 520 just to give me a little more room but I don't want to sacrifice clearance at the swingarm. A modern 520 should easily handle everything the 750 has to offer in terms of power.

I have ridden one of these bikes with stock gearing & a 120 17 Roadrider tyre on it & would say that the gearing is definitely not too far away from where it needs to be...

What are you guys running? What's the minimum dimension front sprocket for good swingarm clearance (I don't necessarily want to run the smallest I just don't want to go too small).

Cheers,

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Warning! Profound Glimpse Into The Obvious!

Hi Dan,

Just to give you a starting point, stock was 14/43 teeth on a 530 chain w/112 links. Tweak as necessary.

How's that brand new baby boy?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliffr

Comment

I'm currently running 16/43 with a 114 link 530 chain. I tried a 17/43 great on the highway, but was otherwise way too tall. Am going to try 16/45 this fall. Congrats on the little one, my 22 mo. old grandson is on my lap watching me type this.
      Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

That's good info you two - thanks! Z1 should be able to convert from a 530 to a 520 for me from that.

I'm definitely going to need a slightly longer chain... I guess I'll have to work it out & go a bit longer then cut to fit.

Dee - did you ever try the stock gearing? Why did you want to go taller, was it due to the lower profile of the radial? What rpm do you turn now at around 70mph?

Hopefully Billy will be along to tell us what he runs too.

This bike will be stock except for the K&N's, DJ kit & a Bassani Pipe.

Cheers,

Dan
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Stock was too high on the highway for me, had that wish I had anouther gear feeling. I'm having the wandering tach needle syndrome lately so I can't really say what it's at.... Wanted a little taller without going any smaller in back. The 16/43 with the 114 chain put the rear wheel back a littte more too which helps clearance. It's nice on the highway but it's almost too much in town so that's why I'm considering going 1 or 2 teeth bigger on the rear..... Any long trips in the future I'll put the 17 on it then. Really wish these bikes had an OD style sixth gear.

Comment

And yeah, it was due to the lower tire, all stock it was fine for me.

Comment

14/38 with a 70 profile tire, it has put the speedometer off a little, but the RpM are in a sweet place on the highway, Not much for low speed, I don't have the option of anything under 15km/hr as the engine doesn't turn enough to do that slow.

Comment

I did the 520 conversion and run a 16/42 combo. On my bike it still feels like I could use a 6th gear so I'm going to go up one tooth up front. The 16/42 puts the rpm at any given speed just about where it was with the stock wheel and gearing.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Billy - how many links is your chain? Is the 520 link the same length as the 530 link then? I assumed it would be a little shorter like going from a 630 to a 530.

I need to run my wheel quite far back in the swingarm so I'll need a decent length of chain I guess.

Dan
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                    Thanks guys.

Billy - how many links is your chain? Is the 520 link the same length as the 530 link then? I assumed it would be a little shorter like going from a 630 to a 530.

I need to run my wheel quite far back in the swingarm so I'll need a decent length of chain I guess.

Dan
                    I'd have to count, but it should be about the same as stock since I dropped a few teeth at the rear and went up a couple at the front. I'll try to remember to put it up on the wheel stand and count tomorrow.

Comment

Much obliged
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Billy did you get a chance for a count up? Got Z1 researching the swap for me, should ship Tues but it would be nice to know they have enough chain.... I just bought a chain tool for breaking & riveting so shouldn't be a problem to go a little on the long side.

Dan
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Working...
                        X