headlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

headlight

does anyone know what headlight i need for my gs850gl, i was hoping to find a brighter one than i have. i

Standard halogen replacement bulb - 9003 I think...
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

A good upgrade would be the Sylverstar bulb, either by Sylvania, or even better, by Osram if you can find it. The same 55/60W, but considerably more light output.
      Tony.
      '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
      Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Hi,

Yes, I agree. The Sylvania Sliverstar H4 bulb is the bee's knees.

They are sold at my local automotive stores, about $20. Great investment.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

If you have a choice, stay away from the blue-tinted bulbs.

And definitely stay away from some of the eBay-hyped bulbs that brag about "HID look" or "Plasma White" or "6000K color" or worse. Most of them are just darker blue tints to raise the apparent color of the bulb, but it's not the color that lights the road. In fact, blue lights will only be relfected by blue objects, and there are precious few of them below the horizon. Most of the stuff on the ground falls into the yellow, brown, red categories, perfectly lit up by WHITE lights.

Some of the Silverstars have a very light tint, they are not too bad, but I find that I can see much better when the glass on the bulb is clear. I think what I am using now in the Wing is the GE Xtra Vision +30 or something like that. But, I have a very distinct advantage of TWO bulbs with a very good reflector and beam spread, along with a monster alternator that has no problem driving those lights along with the two 100-watt driving lights, when necessary.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            If you have a choice, stay away from the blue-tinted bulbs.
            Some of the Silverstars have a very light tint, they are not too bad, but I find that I can see much better when the glass on the bulb is clear. I think what I am using now in the Wing is the GE Xtra Vision +30 or something like that.
            That's correct, it's the N. American Sylvania Sylverstars that have the slight tint......the European Osram item I'm currently running has the completely clear bulb, (save for the dark tip, typical of all halogens). I understand the blueing on the glass effectively reduces the light output, to achieve that cool blue 'wannabe HID' look. That's probably why Sylvania's bulb, while still much brighter than stock has a +30 rating, while the Osram has a +50, and really throws down a searing beam. I got mine on ebay U.K., but now CAS and some other American vendors carry the clear European Sylverstar bulbs too.

Tony.
            '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
            Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

This is a link that shows many bulbs and their specs. They also have the reflectors if your old one is bad. I ran across their name at Bike Bandit and it turns out they are local to me. http://store.candlepower.com/h4hb29003bulbs.html
              Last edited by OldVet66; 08-22-2009, 07:49 AM.
              '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

If you have the sealed beam headlight as I do, it's a standard auto style sealed beam that can be purchased at any auto parts store. Just make sure you get a halogen and that all your connections are clean.

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
                  If you have the sealed beam headlight as I do, it's a standard auto style sealed beam that can be purchased at any auto parts store. Just make sure you get a halogen and that all your connections are clean.
                  If I had a sealed beam as you do, I would quickly replace it with an H4 setup from a newer bike or from someone like Candlepower.

The difference is not just night and day, it's more like life and death.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

I would be careful with the Silverstars. There are several people who don't like them due to their relatively short life span. If you do a search on Google, you will see what I mean.

I am somewhat indifferent as I have had some that lasted for over a year and one that burned out in less than 6 months. Both were in my '97 Jetta. Yes, I did clean the bulbs with alcohol before putting them in my headlights.

Good luck either way.

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
                      9004, also called H-4 is a dual-element high/low bulb.

Many recommend Sylvania, but I use the pseudo-HID xenon bulbs which are coated blue. The best temperature range is about 6000Kelvin, which is closest to daylight.

Above that number the light becomes more blue and lower numbers give more yellow light. I like these lights more than yellow or blue hues.
                      There can be as much difference between these and standard halogen as there is between sealed-beam and halogen.
                      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
                        Originally posted by argonsagas View Post
                        9004, also called H-4 is a dual-element high/low bulb.

Many recommend Sylvania, but I use the pseudo-HID xenon bulbs which are coated blue. The best temperature range is about 6000Kelvin, which is closest to daylight.
                        Sorry to disagree, Argon, but the H4 equivalent is as Mike says, a 9003. I use 9004 bulbs in my vans and they are NOT the same.

I also have to disagree with the use of blue-tinted bulbs. A true HID bulb generates those colors, so they are true colors. Any of the "pseudo-HID xenon bulbs" that you use actually filter out the useable light to give that blue look, reducing actual light to useless levels.

I got a set of "Plasma White" bulbs a couple of years ago, in 80/100 watt 'brightness', put them in my van and went for a drive. I cut my test ride short so I could get home to change them back to the stock 45/65 watt bulbs. There was not a whole lot of difference in road illumination between my parking lights and the "plasma white" headlights. Looking at the van as an oncoming car, yeah, it looked like it had HID lights, but I don't really care how it looks, I want to SEE.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          If I had a sealed beam as you do, I would quickly replace it with an H4 setup from a newer bike or from someone like Candlepower.

The difference is not just night and day, it's more like life and death.

I was wondering where to get those. I'll have to order one next month when I have some money again...Thanks!!!!

Comment

does the 81 450 use the same bulb?

Comment

If it has a replaceable bulb that fits into the back of the reflector, yes, it will be an H4 or a 9003. They are interchangeable.

I think that most of the GSs up through '79 had sealed-beam headlights, and from '80 on, used H4 bulbs in reflectors.

sigpic
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                              X