Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There is no such thing as an EASY JOB...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is no such thing as an EASY JOB...

Here goes. I completed all the big 10 (not the collegiate conference) common maintenance issues as outlined on "In the Garage" and BikeCliff's site. Here's a detailed list of repairs done to date:

• Carbs cleaned/dipped and synced
    • Valve clearances done
    • New petcock
    • New Coils
    • Re-wired ENTIRE harness
    • New Spark plugs
    • New battery
    • Duaneage R/R

I am getting spark to all the cylinders but it will only run for 5-10 seconds on cylinders 1 and 4. Cylinders 2 and 3 are not firing.

The bike also only cranks when I put air through one of the two vent tubes coming out of the carbs. If I read BassCliff's page correctly those should be vent tubes right?

One other question what is the nipple for on the top of the chamber that connects the air box boots to the carbs?

Any help is greatly appreciated as always.

-tatumjr

Hi Mr. tatumjr,

Good work! You are almost there.

Are you saying you get no spark on 2 & 3? That would point to the right coil. Check the wiring and connections. Is there 12v DC at both of the coils? Did you also upgrade the ignition? Or just the coils?

There should be a breather hose connecting the top of the engine to the airbox (that "nipple").

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I only upgraded the coils. They are not stock but are made by NGK they were NOS as I got them in a box and plastic. They look like this:

Comment

I'll check into that breather hose. Could that be why I have to coax fuel into the cylinders by blowing into the carb breathers ?

one more pic of the coils:

Comment

I haven't heard of NGK making coils myself... anybody else. They do have ngk caps on them, do the coils say ngk on them? Are you sure you got the + and - right with the coils?

Comment

My mistake.. After closer inspection the actual coil has a "TEC" logo on them. They were originally made for the CB's but my friend at the Suzuki Dealership assured me that they would work. I also like them because you can change just the wires if you need to.

All the + and - are connected properly.

Comment

What is the resistance of those TEC coils when you bench tested them, yeh I know your friend didn't mention that. Your bike has electronic ignition and the resistance of the gs coils is important. I know the aftermarket coils (dyna) are 3 Ohms. I wonder if that caused your symptom?

My bad you got spark on all 4
              Last edited by srsupertrap; 08-21-2009, 11:56 PM.
              Steve

1979 GS1000E (45 Yrs), 1981 GPz550 (11 Yrs)

Comment

Working...
              X