Problems in the rain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems in the rain

I have a GS 850G (1981) that I have been sorting out since I bought it, thanks to the input from the folks here at GS Resources, and it seems to be running fairly well except for the popping I got after changing to a 4 into 1 exhaust which is to be expected. It has become the daily driver and for the last 4 days, we've had thunderstorms at the time I leave work to go home. It gets me home but I notice that it doesn't run particularly well in the rain. I'm assuming that something is getting wet that probably shouldn't that causes the problem. It doesn't die on me ---it just seems to lose power until it dries out. Anyone else ever experienced such a thing?

To some extent the weather will effect the jetting on your bike. Barometric pressure, temperature, altitude all have an effect on the air/fuel ratio.

Have you rejetted to compensate for the pipe? If you are using the stock airbox you may want to consider a dynojet stage 1 kit. Alternatively, you could try shimming the needles and/or experiment with different main jets.

Comment

Hi,One quick and easy possible fix, Change your spark plug caps if you still have the originals.NGK is one brand many of us switch over to. About three bucks each and easy to install.

1978 GS1000C
      1979 GS1000E
      1980 GS1000E
      2004 Roadstar

Comment

wires

When i bought my 77 that i restored last winter i had the same problem..It seems that even though the rubber and boots may seem pliable and not cracked or torn there can still me small micro cracks that moisture can get into.. You must remember that rubber is petroleum based and as it dries out and looses the oils in the rubber it becomes pourouis just like a sponge.. Heres my fix. Go to any auto parts store and get a can of 100% silicone spray. Take the coils out and set them out in direct sunlight for a day from dusk till dawn. This will draw out any moisture. Then coat entire coil packs and wires with maybe 3 or 4 soakings of silicone letting it soak in real good between coats.. silicone soaks in and restores the rubbers water repelling qualities.. havent had a problem since. Test yours out by starting the bike and dampen everything with a garden hose..I would also got thru the connecting points on the wiring harness and clean the connectors best you can and coat them all with dielectic grease
        Last edited by chuck hahn; 08-23-2009, 07:55 AM.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
        X