Ignition switch stuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition switch stuck

In the middle of synching my carbs I had to shut my bike off and go in for lunch; when I came back out the key wouldn't turn! Luckily I have a parts bike in the shed and it's kind of a two bolt swap but now I need a new one for the parts bike (in case I ever try to get it running). Anyone had this problem and been able to free up a stuck ignition lock? I've sprayed some lube in it and worked the key in and out, around and down and also tried spare keys that I have but to no avail. I don't suppose putting it in my vise and trying to turn the key with a pliers or something would be a great idea (at least not until I see if anyone here has a trick up their sleeve for this type of situation!). I'm lucky that I have a seat lock and gas cap on the parts bike, too so I can get back to one key for everything but I'd sure like to have that be the case on both bikes. I messed with it for about 20 minutes and did get the key to turn twice in that time but that's just not going to get it in a real-world scenario. Anybody have any suggestions (or an ignition lock w/key that will fit an '81 850G)?

You probably have a slipped/broken pin in the lock. Take it to a locksmith, he should be able to fix it in 15 minutes for minimal cost.
    sigpic

SUZUKI:
    1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
    HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
    KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
    YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

It's probably the fork lock part that is jamed

Comment

I have two original OEM ignition switches both part of complete lock sets lock-up in the PARK setting. I finally found a local locksmith that does wonders but have not taken him those two locks back for repair. Let us know how it works out

Comment

Working...
        X