Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe The Deal Of A Life Time...

Greetings,
    I just acquired my first bike, 1981 GS750L ,...I've never owned or even riden a bike in my life! A friend had it...said " I'll take $100 for it. I figured what the heck. Here's the question / problem. I don't know much about bikes. This one has been sitting for at least 10 years. What should I expect. I already know the usual things to do...brake check, oil change, plugs...etc. But, I also have a set of frozen carbs....Rebuild?
    Any help is greatly appreciated...

Hey,

Where in Atlanta are you at? I'm just across the border in Jacksonville, AL.

If there's anyway I can help, let me know. A carb rebuild will definately be one of the first things you'll have to do. How many miles are on the bike? Is the engine frozen?

Ron
    Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
    "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
    1982 GS1100E
    1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

$100 Bike

Iam a fellow owner of one of those $100 Bikes but mine was a 1982 GS750t. Speaking from experience the first thing you need to check is your stator($100) for a used one.If you put plugs in it and it fires OK then better invest in some KREEM to clean and coat the tank.The biggest problem I had with mine was due to rust in the tank that played heck on my freshley rebuilt carbs.

Comment

I got a $100.00 bike, too. I rebuilt the carbs, and the top end (it was frozen) and it almost runs fine. Just a problem getting it started when cold then a climbing idle as it warms up. The Suzi is easy to work on if you have or can borrow the tools. You definitely need an impact driver with a #2 and a #3 phillips bit.

Harrison Clement

Comment

Man, I musta got jipped, mine cost $150... although that was in Canadian dollars.

So far this bike has had:
          -carbs cleaned, and re-cleaned, and re-cleaned :roll:
          -new tires
          -new fluids all around (engine, primary drive, final drive, brake, forks)
          -new sparkplugs
          -new brake pads
          -control cables lubricated
          -new battery

-new front brake caliper gaskets
          -forks rebuilt
          -new mufflers
          -new windshield (would you believe that a crack will render it un-certifiable? Oh, and when it's a Vetter fairing, you can't just take it off.)

All it needs:
          - one stinking little sparkplug wire so it stops grounding out the spark on the #4 cylinder.

The first part of the list is what you basically will have to do. The rest is on an as needed basis, but it does give you an idea of what might happen. It was still cheaper than what people want for a running GS, and ressurecting it was (is) way more rewarding.

Have fun with it,
          -Morgan

Comment

The bike has a bit over 18,000 miles on it....it was running when it was put up...all the gas was drained from the tank..so no problems there...the engine is not frozen..... another thing it also had, ..lots of dirt dobber nests!
            Those things get every where.

Comment

another thing it also had, ..lots of dirt dobber nests!
              Those things get every where.
              You too, huh? I thought I was the only one with that problem. One was trying to set up in the hole for the adjuster rod on the rear shock again yesterday. I took her kids out for a spin in the country, hope she didn't mind. :twisted:

-Morgan

Comment

Working...
              X