Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

going insane with this bloody bike

hi all
    i have recently put a few questions on here as i have been trying to start my gs 550 1982.
    the engine wouldnt start,it had spark to all 4 new plugs,new oil,oil filter,fuel filter,compression in all 4 pots but was getting no fuel(plugs were dry).so a very nice person on here(thanks if it was you ) gave me a link for carb dismantle and clean,so i did that.
    put back on and after a few trys and some easy start it started(didnt tick over very well but was gonna sort it)
    that was yesterday,gone back to it today and will the bastard start?..............erm no is the answer,so i took carbs off again checked the jets,all clean.put back on ,but still no start
    am i missing something? at my wits end with this bloody thing,any suggestions welcome,or anyone know of a good magic trick to get it started

cheers

ed

Originally posted by eddie50clarke View Post
    hi all
    i have recently put a few questions on here as i have been trying to start my gs 550 1982.
    the engine wouldnt start,it had spark to all 4 new plugs,new oil,oil filter,fuel filter,compression in all 4 pots but was getting no fuel(plugs were dry).so a very nice person on here(thanks if it was you ) gave me a link for carb dismantle and clean,so i did that.
    put back on and after a few trys and some easy start it started(didnt tick over very well but was gonna sort it)
    that was yesterday,gone back to it today and will the bastard start?..............erm no is the answer,so i took carbs off again checked the jets,all clean.put back on ,but still no start
    am i missing something? at my wits end with this bloody thing,any suggestions welcome,or anyone know of a good magic trick to get it started

cheers

ed
    Check that you are getting fuel from the petcock to the carbs. If not, your inline filter may be the problem, or you may have a kink in your fuel line. Have you got the petcock set correctly? Initially set it on prime to start, and then turn it over to run. Have you got the vacuum line connected to the petcock? If not, the valve won't open when you turn it over to run.
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
    GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
    GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
    GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
    http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

i assume the bike hasn't started in a while.

1. check the gas in the tank

2. set the petcock to the PRI position and leave it there for a a minute or two.

3. then set it back to the on position or res ( depeding on fuel level in tank).

4. start her up and see how it goes.

pri lets the carb bowls fill up and they might be empty if the bike has sit and not started for a while.

get back to us with results.

Comment

thanks chaps ,will get on it tomorrow
        all the best

Comment

Originally posted by eddie50clarke View Post
          thanks chaps ,will get on it tomorrow
          all the best

Also try playing with the choke and if it helps then it might still be a carb/ fuel problem

Comment

Hey Ed, from your phrasing I guess that you are either a Brit , Kiwi or an Aussie? Which one is it?

The only reason I ask is that if you put your location in your profile it will display in every post and there may be someone nearby that can help you out.

Comment

reply to zooks

cheers zooks
              im uk,manchester area

ed

Comment

Working...
              X