80 GS1100E getting closer to the highway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80 GS1100E getting closer to the highway

So, I got my new pipes on the other day, and man, it sounds good. This bike had a fire of some manner near the battery area at one point, and then had been parked in the weeds since the mid 80's. My friend bought it and replaced the wiring harness and stripped it down, and sold it to me as a mostly functional frame with a bucket of parts. Been fun trying to figure out how stuff is mounted up...

The front master cylinder was rusted solid, so I replaced it with one from a Bandit 1200. The brakes are functional for the time being.

The front forks leaked bad. Rebuilt them with some new seals (the originals looked like just a piece of rubber with a metal plate on top?) and have decent front suspension for the time being, until I manage to find a deal on a USD front end off a GSXR 750.

The electrical system mostly works. It bothers me a bit, as I am an electrical engineer and all I got the headlight working today by reving the engine over 7k. Yeah, I know, a tad scary. Turn signals are refusing to cooperate, but I think the problem is an utter lack of a turn signal. I'll be taking some notes from BassCliff on making that work again. I'll probably end up just rewiring the whole bike from fresh, as I have tons of good fuel/oil resistant automotive wire in about 12 colors, and I really don't care to have all these useless sensors on the bike. The clocks are going to get replaced with something much smaller.

With any luck, I'll have it out at the drag strip soon to see how it initially does. The plan is to take it in steps, first getting it street legal, then swapping to new suspension, and finally, as a winter project most likely, fuel injection with Megasquirt.

I appreciate all the info on this site and the friendly folks, and will keep things updated as I move forward. Lots of great ideas here!

(Thanks for the resize)

Last edited by Guest; 08-24-2009, 01:03 PM. Reason: Picture resize

WOW.. First off, My god I thought that was my bike for a moment.. Second, that is a big picture, I'll resize it, shoot me your email.. or go ahead and take it from my next post as I will post your picture along with mine.

brb

Comment

Yeah, this ones a little better size...

And I was a bit shocked whrn I seen the picture I was like who the hell took a picture of my bike.. lol Then I noticed all the blue, but my seat looks like that and it was just weird. Mine is an 81 tho.

And mine

Comment

Nice to see another square light being resurrected. Just saw a blue one yesterday riding in a group. Couldn't tell if it was an 1100 or 750 though.

Brad bk

Comment

Originally posted by bradleymaynar View Post
          Nice to see another square light being resurrected. Just saw a blue one yesterday riding in a group. Couldn't tell if it was an 1100 or 750 though.

Brad bk

I'd been thinking about a round headlight on it eventually, haha. Maybe I will stick with a square one just to be different.

Comment

Originally posted by bradleymaynar View Post

Brad bk
            I'll be keeping mine square as far as I know

Comment

Working...
            X