rattlin GS 550E mufflers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rattlin GS 550E mufflers

I just noticed on the ride in to work this morning that my mufflers are really rattling . Is there a way to fix them or should I get some new mufflers? Do they even make aftermarket mufflers or exhaust systems

Thanks

Yes, there are aftermarket exhausts.

I suppose you could fix them if you knew why they are rattling. Is it a loose mounting bolt ? Or maybe a clamp has come loose. Oh no...wait....I got it.....the baffles have fallen out.

You need to do some investigating and figure out WHY it is making the noise before throwing money at a new exhaust.
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Larry +1

Comment

The heat shields sometimes work their way loose but most likely the baffles have rusted apart inside the mufflers. JC Whitney sells replacment mufflers, although they most likely will have to be welded on. To replace the mufflers on the cheap, hit up your local Harley shop and ask them for some take off mufflers. It should be easy work to weld them on in place of your rusted stock mufflers.

Good luck
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

i picked up a pr. of hd mufflers from a friend of mine at the hd shop. i ended up not using them. you will have to have a couple of special pipes made to compensate for clearences; plus weld on new mounting brackets, but it will save alot of money over a v+h or mac exhaust. and as nessism said, jc whittney has mufflers that are priced reasonable. if your pipes are good it would be the way to go since you would have to weld with the hd mufflers anyway. if you cant get hd mufflers and are close to princeton, wv you can have the ones i have. the only reason they werent used is that my wife bought me a set of v+h.

Comment

You need to get this stuff called "Stuff" Its like a can of hardining foam. Just buy 2 cans one for each muffler and fillem up!! You will not hear a peep from them afterwards.

Only draw back is the bike wont start again.

But if the baffles are just loose, and the mufflers are shot anyways, just take them off, cut the tips off and pour out the contents. Install them back on and ride away. It might get you by until you can figure something out.

Comment

4 to 1 system

Has anyone used a 4 to one system? I found a company that makes them I dont want to do rejetting and messing with the carbs. Does anyone think I will have to do this if I get this system.

Comment

Originally posted by jteller1 View Post
                Has anyone used a 4 to one system? I found a company that makes them I dont want to do rejetting and messing with the carbs. Does anyone think I will have to do this if I get this system.

Okay......I'll tell him/her.

It will be very helpful to all of us trying to help you if you would please do the following......

In the User CP icon you can fill in where you are on our planet. No need to be specific if you don't want to. Mine says Indianapolis, IN. Second... where it says Edit your signature, enter in what bike you are talking about. It will help those trying to help you because they will know what bike you have.
                And finally third. I highly recommend using the Search function on the upper right of each forum home page. Just type in 4-1 exhaust and watch your screen explode with info. Spend a couple days reading and learning what's going to be under your butt.

If your exhaust is trashed and a new 4-1 is in your budget, it would be nice. Some jetting changes will more than likely be needed as your changing the way the bike breathes.
                Larry D
                1980 GS450S
                1981 GS450S
                2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...
                X