Shaft maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shaft maintenance

I wanted to check the gear oil level today. At the rear wheel it was pretty self evident. Cracked open the filler plug, got a small dribble, o.k., just like the rear end on the truck. What about the other end? There is a filler plug, but I'm not sure how to tel if there is enough gear oil in there and I can't find any specs. The shop Manual got last year only has chain drive models in it 8O.

on the back left edge of the transmission, just above and to the rear of the shifter shaft you will see a ridge on the case, under it will be a 6mm bolt (head is 10mm) with a phillips screw notch in it, that is where you check the level of the secondary gear box.
    It should just ooze out

Comment

Thanks, I'll look for it tomorrow

Comment

Just changed mine last night. There will be a cover over the secondary drive. You will need to remove the 4 bolts for the cover, and remove the shift lever. Then, as stated before, there is a philips head screw towards the rear of the case. You might need to use an impact driver to remove the screw without damaging it. That is what I had to do.

Comment

Working...
        X