screwed up chain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

screwed up chain

hey all, my father bought a new chain for his 77 gs 450. the new chain was a 110 link and his old chain was supposed to be a 104 but he said it was only a 102? so he cut 8 links off the new chain and when he went to install it was too short, uh-oh. can he just add a second master link to lenghten? or is that bad?please help. thanks

Yes you can add an extra master link. I suggest the non-clip style you have to press on (vice-grips) and spread the ends with a punch and hammer.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
      Yes you can add an extra master link. I suggest the non-clip style you have to press on (vice-grips) and spread the ends with a punch and hammer.
      thanks for the input chef1366, all opinions matter

Comment

Bad things can happen very quickly when your chain breaks. By adding "extra" master links you increase the chance of a chain failure. Chalk it up to experience and buy another chain. Next time you'll know how to measure a chain correctly.

Comment

With all due respect to the mighty GS450, a new decent quality 530 chain is nowhere near its limits on this bike. (FWIW, Hayabusas use 530 chains.)

It'll be fine with another master, but I would go with the rivet style if possible.

Is there really such a thing as the 77 GS450, or is it a 400? Model confusion could explain why you ended up with the wrong chain.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

It'll be fine with another master, but I would go with the rivet style if possible.
            Brian, I am really surprised that you would suggest that this is the correct way to repair/maintain a bike. It was only a few weeks ago that you were ranting about cheap gs owners..

They do incredibly stupid crap to their petcock with JB weld, spit, and bubblegum, which doesn't work, then buy a rebuild kit for $30+ shipping on eBay, which doesn't work, then go on the tech forum to moan about what a pile of junk this 30 year old petcock is, and how it should work perfectly forever...
            and

I could go on and on... neglecting valve adjustments for tens of thousands of miles (jeepers, wonder why this thing is so hard to start?), original rock-hard 30 year old brake pads and squishy brake lines (gosh, this ol' bike just don't want to stop), oil leaks left to fester for years for want of $10 in seals, re-using crappy Phillips head screws... aaaaaagggghh.

What's next ..patching inner tubes to save a few bucks?

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
              Brian, I am really surprised that you would suggest that this is the correct way to repair/maintain a bike. It was only a few weeks ago that you were ranting about cheap gs owners..

Oh, all right...

A properly installed rivet-style master link is just as strong and reliable as the rest of the chain. So I'd be happy with that, personally.

I'd definitely avoid installing a second clip-style master.

You happy now?
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

You happy now?

Yes..I know feel that order has been restored in the gs universe

Comment

I remembered reading in an old Triumph 650 twins manual that two clip style masterlinks was an acceptable chain fix. So to double check I dug the old tome out and sure 'nuff there it was. I'd say you can do it, but I have lost a spring clip on the Cherohala Skyway so go the rivet route to be safe.

Comment

Working...
                  X