GS750 '77 rear tire squeeks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750 '77 rear tire squeeks

i readjusted the chain yesterday, and then took it for a ride and the back tire squeeks in a certain position, it didn't squeek before, and the adjustment indicators are in the same place on both sides, i marked the chain to see if it was occuring at the same spot, but it's not, only at the same spot on the tire, i haven't ran over anything, so to my knowledge the rim is not bent

it seems to be the same squeek at when i use the back brake, so i'm assuming that's what it is catching on, do i readjust the chain again and see if this puts it back in place, maybe the tire is off because of this?

I would start buy prying the brake pads away from the disk. I would suspect either the chain or a wheel bearing

Comment

so the chain could in theory pull the tire over?

i did mark it in certain spots, and when the tire would go around, sometimes the marked spots would be squeeky and sometimes not

Comment

Yes it can be the chain! Clean & lube it Then try again. Check the easy things first

Comment

i readjusted the chain tonight, and it took the squeek out and is smooth, i don't have a torque wrench though, and that is what i am most worried about, that i'm putting to much behind myself when i'm tightening the rear axle nut, i turned it until i couldn't get it to go with a little bit of power, and then i muscled it a quarter turn more to line up the cotter pin hole

anyone have any tips (other than buying a toque wrench)

Comment

It's something like 65-70 ft lbs You should be ok

Comment

Yeah, the Bandit has the same problem. The rear tire squeaks, and makes a nasty smell, like burning rubber. And it screws up the headlight aim, but only temporarily.
              and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
              __________________________________________________ ______________________
              2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Working...
              X