stator cover questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stator cover questions

I am replacing the stator on my 1982 GS850L. I have read a few places that suggest using some grease or WD40 on a paper seal, but that was referring to the valve cover seal.

Would this be a good idea for the seal on the stator cover?
    If so what kind of grease would be best?

Also, there is a hard plastic/rubber piece in the cover which is where the stator wires pass through before they leave the cover. Does this piece need some permatex put around it? It looks like it had some before.

If so, which type of permatex would be best?

Thanks
    David
    1982 GS850L

It doesn't matter what kind of grease or oil, just hit the gasket with something oily and it shouldn't stick to the cover/engine so you can reuse the gasket again as necessary.

That stator wire grommet should be pliable, not hard like plastic. I'd use a little Three Bond sealer but any kind of non hardening sealer should be fine - just use a thin coat, don't slather it on thick.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      It doesn't matter what kind of grease or oil, just hit the gasket with something oily and it shouldn't stick to the cover/engine so you can reuse the gasket again as necessary.

That stator wire grommet should be pliable, not hard like plastic. I'd use a little Three Bond sealer but any kind of non hardening sealer should be fine - just use a thin coat, don't slather it on thick.

So if the wire grommet is hard, which it is, I assume it needs to be replaced. Is that something I can find in an auto parts store or would I need to order from Suzuki?

Comment

The wire grommet is not really replaceable. You just have to use some sort of goo on it. Case sealer is best, but it oddly hard to find. Permatex non-hardening sealer from an auto parts store is also a good choice.

Last choice would be RTV silicone -- if you use this, try not to use much.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I had a leak at the grommet on my Yamaha and to fix it I had to degrease the area completely and go with a small amount of RTV. I applied a thin film and used a heat gun to cure it. I then let it sit overnight and tested it for pliability and adhesion in the morning.

The grommets are not sold and have a unique shape to them. Best to save it anyway you can. I finally have a bike that does not leak when I park it, I hate oil leaks.
          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

There is very little pressure inside the case at any time, and a paper gasket will suffice if the original is too bad.

I have used Kelloggs with success.....just be careful with the trimming.
            Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas View Post
              There is very little pressure inside the case at any time, and a paper gasket will suffice if the original is too bad.

I have used Kelloggs with success.....just be careful with the trimming.
              I prefer General Mills cardboard myself, but Kelloggs will work in a pinch...

Paper grocery sacks are slowly going extinct, so make sure you stock up before they stop even asking "paper or plastic".
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

The grommet usually comes installed on the wiring harness with the new stator. The ricks stator I bought came with the grommet installed.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                  I prefer General Mills cardboard myself, but Kelloggs will work in a pinch...

Paper grocery sacks are slowly going extinct, so make sure you stock up before they stop even asking "paper or plastic".
                  MOST places dont ask anymore. You have to REQUEST paper. They still stock em, but they dont offer them because they're "trying to be green, and it kills trees" What they really should say is they're being cheap, plastic is way cheaper than paper, and the whole "green" thing is a bunch of "brown" in my opinion... Most of that plastic DOESNT get recycled around here.

Comment

Working...
                  X