Removing Gas from a Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing Gas from a Tank

I have my tank off my bike and am planning to sand the chipping paint and rust off it. I have removed most the gas but I still hear some shloshing around inside. I've tried tipping it all sorts of angles to get it to drain, but have had no luck.

I'm also assuming its bad to just grind at the surface of the tank with a little gas in it? You agree?

Any tips would be great.

Thanks,
    jayson-

have you removed the petcock and let the gas also drain out from there while tipping it in varous directions?

If not i would start there first

Comment

Kk, I'll give that a shot. thanks.

Comment

Yup....not good to introduce spark or flame around gas or even fumes. You need to get all the gas out and let it air out for at least a few days. Sanding or even grinding the surface would be fine but if you are contemplating welding or brazing then other safety precautions need to be taken as even after sitting and airing there still could be sufficient fumes to go boom.

To get the gas out drain as best you can and removing the petcock works well. There still will be some residual and to get that sop it up with some paper towel wrapped and taped to a wire coat hanger introduced through the filler. An even better sponge for this is the famous "Sham-Wow!" as touted by our boy Vince ( the next Billy Mays????).

Once I get the gas out I usually duct tape over the petcock and filler holes to keep crud and sanding dust out.

Hope this helps.

Good luck with it.
        Cheers,
        Spyug

Comment

Just take the cap and petcock off, flip it over and set it on an old towel or something.

While you have the tank off, make a good inspection of the interior of the tank. If it needs lined, now would be a good time to do it.....BEFORE you start painting. Some folks find a radiator shop and let them strip the tank. Keep in mind they will do inside and out. The inside will be ready to be lined (I used por-15) and the outside will ready for a little sanding, primer and paint.
          Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

I would flush it out with water, then pour in a pint of denatured alcohol. That will fast dry and take with it any fuel residue. Should be safe after that. This is the time to coat inside with tank sealer. Yes..cover the openings while sanding and painting.

Terry
            1980 Suzuki GS550E, 1981 Suzuki GS 1100EX all stock, 1983 Suzuki GS 1100EX modified, 1985 GS1150E, 1998 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1971 Kawasaki Mach lll 500 H1, 1973 Kawasaki Mach lV 750 H2.

Comment

I love Vince.
              NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
              Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Originally posted by 1980GS1000E View Post
                I love Vince.
                This bike loves me? It may be mutual...

Comment

Working...
                X