Bucking problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bucking problem

I'm looking for some advice for solving a performance problem I'd describe as bucking when running at 1/8 throttle under low and no loads. This is on my bone stock 1100G. The following have been done or are correct: coil relay mod, valves set, carbs synched, o-rings replaced, inline fuel filter added, carbs rebuilt with floats sets to spec and every passageway completely clean. The bike starts and runs perfect except for this problem which is a real pita.
    I can feel the same bucking when I'm coasting with no throttle at all. It almost feels like I'm riding over some bumps but the pavement is smooth.
    I have tried shimming the needles and turned the pilot air screw in and out a total of 1 turn in either direction but have not noticed any affect on the bucking.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Willie
    Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
    '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
    '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
    '82 GS1100G Resto project

Are the engine RPM's "bucking" or is it possible that you are feeling a brake drag/hang up?

Comment

Do you have a Carb colortune to look at the ignitions at idle to see if they are variable? Also have you measured the output from the coilds to see if this is some kind of weird early failure? Do you have the original petcock? Could that be giving you low level irregular gas flow with a small vacuum leak?

Just wondering

Comment

Youre lean in your pilot circuit, or the pilot needle transition...

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
          Youre lean in your pilot circuit, or the pilot needle transition...
          Thats what I've been thinking but would've expected a turn of the air screw in either direction to make a difference. Do you suggest that I go OUT a couple of turns from stock? Also, is shimming the needle going to help? I'm leaning (pun intended) towards doing that again to see what happens.
          Thanks
          Willie

Present Stable includes:

Comment

Originally posted by tlepac View Post
            Do you have a Carb colortune to look at the ignitions at idle to see if they are variable? Also have you measured the output from the coilds to see if this is some kind of weird early failure? Do you have the original petcock? Could that be giving you low level irregular gas flow with a small vacuum leak?
            I don't have a colortune and havent measured coil output. It does have the OEM petcock but I don't think its fuel starvation in that respect because each "buck" lasts less than a second. Like hitting a bump.
            Thanks for the ideas.
            Willie

Present Stable includes:

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
              Are the engine RPM's "bucking" or is it possible that you are feeling a brake drag/hang up?
              Interesting thought but I'm convinced its the engine and not the brakes. I rebuilt the calipers and replaced the pads and they're working great. The tach needle doesnt respond quickly enough to see the "buck".
              Thanks
              Willie

Present Stable includes:

Comment

I would say it is as simple as lugging the engine, Or your chain is loose and the drive train is catching up to the slack repeatedly.

Comment

The tach needle doesnt respond quickly enough to see the "buck".
                  Which makes me think that it is not carb related. IF it is...it will be the pilot circuit as mentioned.

Comment

i can only presume that you mean "surging" .... opposed to bucking which means nowt to me.. if that's the case then your pilot circuit is lean. is everything stock on yer ride ?

Comment

Where are your pilot screws set at now?? generally, ive found them pretty much all over the board in stock set ups... they did whatever they needed to do to get the bike to run well, and cover EPA standards.. You need to set them using the highest idle method, but i would guess a good starting point is around 2-2.5 turns out..

Comment

Originally posted by Clone View Post
                        I would say it is as simple as lugging the engine, Or your chain is loose and the drive train is catching up to the slack repeatedly.
                        It happens when coasting too so its not a matter of lugging the engine. In fact, it runs smoothly under load even if I am lugging it. Its a G model so I'm confident its not a loose chain.
                        Thanks though.
                        Willie

Present Stable includes:

Comment

Down here by the beach 19801000G with California carbs I need 2.5 turns approx. That's 40 pilots & 180 air jets.

Interestingly - I switched to a Canadian setup with 42 pilots & 160 air jets & needed about the same...

Dan
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Hey TCK, I started with the screws out 1 3/4 turns as thats where they were from the factory. I was the one who removed the plugs so of that I'm certain. I have them out 1 turn from there for a total of 2 3/4.
                            I just pulled one of the slides out to make sure everything was stock. It wasn't. I have a .020 shim under the needle. I apologize for not mentioning it. I'd forgotten that I put the extra shim in each carb when I was messing with the carbs before the WV rally.
                            If memory serves me right, for once, it was common to place the nylon spacer under the clip too, as opposed to it being above the clip like it is from the factory. I'd appreciate your thoughts on doing that too please.
                            Where to from here? Back the screws out another 1/2 and/or mess with the shims?
                            Thanks again and keep those comments coming folks.
                            Willie

Present Stable includes:

Comment

Put the spacers back how they were from the factory if you are shimming the needles with washers. Try that, get back to us..

Comment

Working...
                              X