No announcement yet.

Bucking problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I second checking the chain tesion. Too tight will also cause problems.

Comment

Originally posted by old_chopper View Post
      I second checking the chain tesion. Too tight will also cause problems.
      Guys...Its a shaft drive bike...

Comment

Having a shim UNDER the needle wont do squat. Shims ABOVE the needle will make it leaner. To richen, remove the plastic spacer and use shims of less height of the spacer.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
          Put the spacers back how they were from the factory if you are shimming the needles with washers. Try that, get back to us..
          The nylon spacers are and have been where they were from the factory (ie. above the clip). My comment/request was for your opinion on the idea of moving the spacer under the clip. So....now that I have the tank off and one diaphragm cap off, I'm going to put the extra shim under the clip as it was, back the screws out another 1/2 turn each and go for a ride before the sun sets. I'll report back this evening.

Now to address Mr Gearhead's comments re: shims and spacers above the "needle" will richen the mixture. Ah, forgive me for sounding dumb and all but, it was my understanding that its shims and spacers placed under the needle clip that affect the mixture by effectively raising the needle. Am I mistaken about this?
          Thanks again, one and all,
          Willie
          Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
          '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
          '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
          '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

Originally posted by willie View Post
            Now to address Mr Gearhead's comments re: shims and spacers above the "needle" will richen the mixture. Ah, forgive me for sounding dumb and all but, it was my understanding that its shims and spacers placed under the needle clip that affect the mixture by effectively raising the needle. Am I mistaken about this?
            Thanks again, one and all,
            Willie
            The spring under the clip forces the needle up against the plastic retainer, by adding a washer/shim under you are just increasing the springs pressure pushing up on the needle. Think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
              The spring under the clip forces the needle up against the plastic retainer, by adding a washer/shim under you are just increasing the springs pressure pushing up on the needle. Think about it.
              Removing thickness above the clip raises the needle, anything done below the clip does nothing.
              So removing the thick spacer from above the clip and putting something thinner in it's place is what you want.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                Removing thickness above the clip raises the needle, anything done below the clip does nothing.
                So removing the thick spacer from above the clip and putting something thinner in it's place is what you want.
                In-friggin-credible! If you could see me now you'd watch as I repeatedly make contact with my forehead using the palm of my hand. Also, for anyone monitoring this thread..I sure hope all is forgotten by next yr's RRV Rally.
                No wonder I haven't been seeing any difference by changing the thickness of the shims under the clip.
                Okay, now I'll try what you suggested and put the nylon spacer under the clip and replace it with a .020 washer. I'll report back after I do this tomorrow AM. Any suggestions on where to set the screw relative to factory?
                Willie

Present Stable includes:

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                  Put the spacers back how they were from the factory if you are shimming the needles with washers. Try that, get back to us..
                  I took gearheads advice and replaced the nylon spacer above the clip with a .025 washer. I left the spacers out entirely. Then, I took TCKs advice and adjusted the pilot air screw till I had the highest idle. Odlly, that worked out to 1 1/4 turns out. OEM is 1 3/4 out. Off idle performance is VERY nice but I still have that friggin bucking (surging?) at low-no load.
                  Just for the heck of it, I took my GK for a ride and noticed it on that too, although it appears to be slightly less pronounced, if that makes any sense. I've come to believe that the annoyance I'm experiencing is pretty much normal. Sure runs great in every other regard though.
                  Thanks alot for everyone's help.
                  Willie

Present Stable includes:

Comment

Working...
                  X