LEDs for my turning signal lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LEDs for my turning signal lights

I thought I was clever buying some LED cluster 1157 lights. They use less current and last almost forever. But my turning signal relay will not operate with them installed. I suppose there is a bi-metal strip or something like that in the relay that requires a bit of current to get it heated up. The LEDs don't draw enough, I'm guessing.

The literature mentions something about a 'load equalizer' available at auto parts stores that might be needed. I am thinking that an 'electronic' turning relay might be what I need.

Anyone run into this problem?

LEDs'

What you really should have is the "load equalizer" as the turnsignal blinkers are just an element that heats up & breaks contact as it reaches a certain temp.
    A simple device that can easily be tricked...remember what happens when you get a burn't out bulb?? the blinker changes the speed at which it runs!!
    I would suggest you run the LED bulbs on your taillamp assy(If they take the 1157) & keep the standard filiment type in your turnsignals.
    The taillamp/brakelamp IS the most important & you'll know if you have a turnsignal burnout.
    Rick...........

Comment

Re: LEDs'

Originally posted by Richard Ellis
      What you really should have is the "load equalizer" as the turnsignal blinkers are just an element that heats up & breaks contact as it reaches a certain temp.
      A simple device that can easily be tricked...remember what happens when you get a burn't out bulb?? the blinker changes the speed at which it runs!!
      I would suggest you run the LED bulbs on your taillamp assy(If they take the 1157) & keep the standard filiment type in your turnsignals.
      The taillamp/brakelamp IS the most important & you'll know if you have a turnsignal burnout.
      Rick...........
      I had tried the LEDs 1157 at the back light, but it was not bright enough. Instead I put in a halogen bulb that puts out 50% more light and draws the same current. To ensure that I always had a brake light I added an additional LED light bar that only lights up when the brakes are applied.

What does this "load equalizer" look like? Is it easy to wire in? How does it work? My primary reason for replacing with LEDs is to reduce current draw. I want to reduce wattage where I can so that I will be able to put in a higher wattage headlight without ill affects on the system.

Comment

I think an electronic turn signal blinker is what you really want. A load equalizer will draw the same current as an 1157 bulb, but that energy just goes toward heating a resistor instead of creating light. So you have the same current draw with the same output of light, but you paid alot of money to make it all work :? . The electronic turn sig relay will flash anything at a set rate. Icandescent, halogen, led, super blue plasma deathray, anything......

Comment

i put a round tinted electronic flasher on my GS450L, i had it in my 83 caprice, it was all that would work in place of the stock square black flasher that was dead.

cheapy clicker flashers wont click on my bike,

Comment

Electric loads & all that crap

Yes a "load equalizer" is just a fancy name for a resistor that fools the flasher thinking a regular bulb is there. Yes and it is counterproductive, the only benefits now are (1)resistance to vibration (2) longer life.....no more less current draw as a benefit.
            I had put a rather large wattage headlamp assy (90/130) (90 watts lowbeam, 130 watts highbeam) in my old 1000 with no problem at all.
            Rick......

Comment

flasher

Ok, I took the advice here and got an electronic flasher from the car parts store. Even though the 3 prongs lined up with the socket, they were matched incorrectly. I made jumper wires to get the right connections and it worked like a charm with my LEDs. I cannot run LEDs back and front though, the relay seems to need a draw of current, so I have LEDs in front and regular in back.
              Thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X