What do you guys think? Worth buying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you guys think? Worth buying?

Found this bike on craigslist today, I'm going to go look at it tomorrow night. It's a 1982 Suzuki GS 550. He only wants $400 for it... It appears to be missing the battery, atleast one side cover and he says its missing the carbs. But he says everything else works. Also I'd need to patch those squares... but I've owned this bike before in a complete condition and thought it was nice. I thought I'd look for some opnions before I get there, sorry this is the only picture. Thanks

$400 is high, especially given the market right now. It sucks for sellers but I've been picking up running 1000s for a lot less, missing nothing but love and effort.
    And it's an L.
    Is there a title?
    How long since it's been registered?
    That one should be under $200, less without a title.

Offer him a hundred, let him talk you up another $20 or so.

It's a great time to be buying up cheap bikes.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Offer him a hundred, let him talk you up another $20 or so.

Specially if its missing the carbs.
      I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
      http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...Picture003.jpg 1982 GS850G

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...n1/Picture.jpg 1980 GS1100L

Comment

No carbs???? No. Pass.

Comment

Originally posted by don_gibb6512 View Post
          No carbs???? No. Pass.
          I found a set of carbs in good condition with 8,500 miles for $70 on ebay, and I have an igniter box and regulator for the bike left over from the other one. And as far as a title and registration I don't know, but we won't be buying it if it doesn't have a title. I will offer him 100-150, and if he wonders why, he can't prove to me it runs. Also it's missing critical components. He said in the ad he'd take any offer anyway. But he said it was a project and in the picture I see it in a shop with an expensive dirt bike, so I'm hoping there isn't too much corrosion and he stored it inside.

Comment

It's a parts bike, and demand for 550L parts is not that high. There are a lot of better bikes out there for 500 dollars that are complete and run.
            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
              It's a parts bike, and demand for 550L parts is not that high. There are a lot of better bikes out there for 500 dollars that are complete and run.
              i dont think its a parts bike because its missing the carbs. they are avaliable on ebay. and ill offer the guy like 100-150. but I think if it works with the carbs then its worth buying. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/80-Su...Q5fAccessories those will work right?

Comment

It's a parts bike because it would take far too much money to make it worth while. It probably needs brakes and tires, carbs will need to be cleaned and rebuilt, the battery issue means stator and regulator are suspect, the chain is probably half shot and that's before the cosmetics are addressed. Almost any old bike needs about 500 dollars to be rescued and up to 1000 dollars to be restored to excellent shape. Labor not included.

If you like the 550L then get this one cheap and look around for a nice example. This can be the parts bike for a better bike that runs. You could practice working on this one and shelve parts from it.

The G, E and T models of all sizes have a higher resale and a bigger following. That's something to consider since you may eventually want to move up to a larger bike.

Yes those carbs will work, actually carbs from the 550 through 750 will work as long as they are CV types, identified easily by the round flat tops you see. The difference is in the jetting and needles, and a Namco rebuild kit comes with all you need to set up a carb rack for your engine. Typically a set of 32 mm CV mikunis go for 60 to 100 dollars on the bay with shipping, 125 to 150 if they are cleaned up and pretty.

Comment

I spent 6 months looking for a bike for myself. Choose the model or models and sit and wait for the right one. Be patient. Decide what condition you want it to be in and what work you are willing to do. Get a good sense of the market. Check several crairlists and be willing to travel a couple of hundered miles. My fear of buying a non running bike was a bad tranny. I my state back reg fees will kill you. The bike I bought was a 650g for $250.00, complete. It ran, but bogged down at 4k rpm. Rebuilt carbs ( first time for me) and put about $220.00 into misc parts and she purrs. It could use paint and a new fender. I got lucky, but I waited for the right one. Good luck.

cg
                  sigpic
                  83 GS1100g
                  2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

you're right charlie, duaneage, don. everyone else could be, but I'd rather not take a chance when duaneage justified all that is likely to be wrong with it. sorry I made you type all that up. we'll tell the guy to let it go to the next person tomorrow, and he never took it off craigslist so it doesn't even matter. inexpierence almost made me jump and buy this bike, after searching for 10 minutes. Thank you for your input everyone, I really appriciate it. I'll just putt around on my xs 400 until I find something.
                    Last edited by Guest; 08-26-2009, 02:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JordansCycles View Post
                      I'll just putt around on my xs 400 until I find something.
                      I have an XS 400. I paid 75 dollars for it. It ran and had a clear title. Beyond that it needed tires, brakes (including cables) chain and sprocket, seat, tune up, air filters, headlight, turn signals, and a lot of cleaning and painting. Now it looks pretty darn good. 600 dollars and a 100 hours later. But had I paid 300 or 500 dollars for it then she would be a money pit. I still need pipes and a body paint job to make it perfect. I even respoked the wheels.

The XS400 is a fine bike but not as refined as a GS. Handling is not as good and if you have drum brakes you would find the GS a better stopper.

Comment

yeah i got my 78 XS 400 for $400, 90% tread on both tires, almost new brakes, chain has no rust, side covers have been polished since the picture, paint is really nice, all emblems are there, very original down to the OEM mirrors. also 3,952 miles. All I had to do was rejet the carbs and get a throttle set up. pic is of the bike right after it was unloaded from my truck. came with clean title, new battery. has worked out great for me since.
                        Last edited by Guest; 08-27-2009, 02:45 AM.

Comment

Same as mine with better paint and cast wheels. I debated converting it from spokes but all the parts required were heavy and shipping was too high. I need a donor parts bike to really do it.

You could easily get top dollar for that bike, and fund a purchase of a really nice GS. The Yamaha is OK, but not as good a GS. The GS series are cheaper to fix up, more parts are interchangeable, and I think the overall quality of the GS is better. I disassembled mine and rebuilt it so I have a good idea of how the XS400 was put together. They also have a lot of little nagging problems from centerstands that break to electrical gremlins. Exhaust systems rust out easily while GS bikes on average still have factory pipes in great shape.

Look for an 850 or 650G/E and you'll find one. When I get back on my 650 I appreciate the difference in the two bikes and it's not just the bigger engine.

Comment

That's a nice looking XS400! I had one many moons ago and liked it although I agree with duane. Mine vibrated quite a bit but with the rubber engine mounts it smoothed out nicely at freeway speeds - about 70 mph as I recall. Good memories.
                            Last edited by Nessism; 08-27-2009, 09:05 AM.
                            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                            X