Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can the ignition switch contacts be cleaned?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can the ignition switch contacts be cleaned?

I have a 0.7V drop between the (new) battery and the main switched wire coming back from the ignition switch.

The + cable from the battery goes to the starter motor relay then to the fuse box then to the ignition switch.
    All these connections have been replaced or cleaned (except the ign switch).

Is there a way to clean the ignition switch internally?

Is there anything else i might have overlooked?

Thanks guys!
    GS850GT

Originally posted by psyguy View Post

Is there a way to clean the ignition switch internally?

Yes. Take it apart and see.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I've had one apart and cleaned it.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Just be careful nothing flies away when you open it.
        Larry

'79 GS 1000E
        '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
        '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
        '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
        '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

psyguy,

Just did a 1100E switch. Comes apart easily. Just make sure you go slowly, do the disassembly over a clean rag, or something similar. Two small springs under the contact plates. Go slow so you don't send them flying.

Hope you get better results than I did though. Started out with a 1 volt loss where you have your .7 volt loss. After careful cleaning of switch and switch connector...still have the same loss.

Can you imagine the combined electrical FRUSTRATIONS of all of the members of this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave R View Post

Two small springs under the contact plates. Go slow so you don't send them flying.
            If you don't know exactly when/where the springs will be flying, try taking it apart inside a plastic bag.

Have you checked the kill switch for a voltage drop?

Comment

I took mine apart, and I quoted myself from another thread (Note: This is after removing the one screw from the rear of the switch cover after you remove the switch assy):

I found the sense wire I had connected from the fuse box (for my Honda R/R) was (still is) a half volt less than the battery. So I took the ignition switch out to ponder the possibility of taking it apart to clean it. For those who want to indulge in this, be forwarned: like most Suzuki switches, there are springs and a ball just waiting to explode all over your shop floor!! note however, that it is very easy to figure out what goes where, once you find all the parts!. There is a total of 4 springs, one ball, 3 little copper contacts similar to what you would find in the brake switches, and a white 'cap' (it makes the 'step' when you move the key to different positions). One ball, a spring, and the plastic 'cap' go together, and the other 3 springs and copper contacts go together. All in all, it was easy to remove everything and clean it, add Di-grease and put it all back together. In my case, I still have the .5v loss, but it was pretty cruddy in the switch, and I am satisfied that no other issues will come from there.
              Last edited by Guest; 08-25-2009, 10:15 PM. Reason: Added info

Comment

I never put the meter on mine, but did disassemble and clean it because it was so cruddy looking. Once again...no change.

If I ever have the "eureka moment" on this thing I think I'll die of shock.
                Won't be a Suzuki shock though... too low voltage.

Comment

You consider bypassing all 33 feet of old wire and all three switches and do the relay mod?

Comment

Consider spraying electrical contact cleaner in the switches. You don't have to disassemble them, just work the switch afterwards. Unhook the battery so it doesn't cycle power on and off.

Doing the coil relay mod won't help the rest of the bike, unless you want a relay for all of it. Most of the time it's a bad crimp on a connector in a plug somewhere. It's easier to fix a bad connector pin than work around it.

The pins are available from Digikey and Newark, replacing them is actually pretty easy. I'm going to look at their inventory and find the part numbers for replacements. They even have complete connectors both male and female so a melted connector can be replaced good as new.

The wires can be soldered or crimped into the pins. Removing the pins requires only a toothpick.
                    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      not sure if you're referring to me or the other guy, but the voltage drop is before the wire comes back to the fuse box for the first time (so, not going through the kill switch, yet)

i'll have to deal with other switches further down the line
                      Last edited by psyguy; 08-26-2009, 02:30 AM.
                      GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by Dave R View Post
                        psyguy,

Can you imagine the combined electrical FRUSTRATIONS of all of the members of this forum.
                        lol, a good point!
                        GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
                          The pins are available from Digikey and Newark, replacing them is actually pretty easy. I'm going to look at their inventory and find the part numbers for replacements. They even have complete connectors both male and female so a melted connector can be replaced good as new.
                          i buy from these guys:
                          GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
                            Consider spraying electrical contact cleaner in the switches. You don't have to disassemble them, just work the switch afterwards. Unhook the battery so it doesn't cycle power on and off.
                            thanks, will do this first and see if it helps.

the bugger is that if i have a 0.7V drop at the main switched wire i do not have any other better place to connect the rr sense wire to, as all the other switched wires are going to have an even bigger voltage drop
                            GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
                              thanks, will do this first and see if it helps.

the bugger is that if i have a 0.7V drop at the main switched wire i do not have any other better place to connect the rr sense wire to, as all the other switched wires are going to have an even bigger voltage drop
                              I wouldn't get too riled about the drop just yet. Follow the hookup diagram I sent you and see what happens. BTW it's still acceptable to have 15 volts across the battery, according to the factory manual. In my opinion anything above 16 is a problem. A weak battery might pull a higher voltage from the regulator due to increased load too.

Take these things one at a time and be practical about it. It's really not that complicated so don't make it more so. I would bypass that bad section of wire with connectors and a new orange lead for now.
                              1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                              1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
                              X