Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can the ignition switch contacts be cleaned?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I ran two cans of WD-40 (about a quart total) through the switch on my old GS400 before crud stopped coming out the bottom. Spray a while (straw through the key hole), work the switch back and forth for a minute, spray some more, etc. Simple, yet messy.

It improved functioning considerably, although I was young and dumb back then and didn't really know about voltage drops. All I knew was that sometimes the dang thing wouldn't send enough voltage to the coils so I could start it (kick start only).
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Guys, don't want to divert psyguy's thread...

I posted earlier about having a similar (voltage loss) problem.

Read my thread "15v... too much output from"

Found something strange, I think.

Comment

thanks for all your replies

i'll let you know how i go
        GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
          thanks for all your replies

i'll let you know how i go
          Ignition switch for my project bike is on the workbench but I'm a little concern about opening up the electrical switch for fear of breaking the plastic tabs on the housing. Silly concern or actual risk?

Edit: just took it apart, no worry. Switch is filled with brown grease so going to clean it out and scrub the contacts with a small stainless brush. Before reassembly a good slathering of dielectric grease is in order. I'm not surprised this design leads to some voltage loss but the good news is that the contacts are accessable and easy to clean. Trying to flush out the switch with contact cleaner is a bad idea since it will do nothing more than flush the grease out...or most likely, just smear the grease around since there is no good flush path.
          Last edited by Nessism; 08-27-2009, 06:38 PM.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Do you have full battery voltage at the wire(s) going into the switch? I read your post as the difference between the + terminal and ground and the switch exit wires and ground. What is the voltage at the wires going into the switch? I wouldn't bother cleaning the switch if the votage drop occurs prior.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingace View Post
              Do you have full battery voltage at the wire(s) going into the switch? I read your post as the difference between the + terminal and ground and the switch exit wires and ground. What is the voltage at the wires going into the switch? I wouldn't bother cleaning the switch if the votage drop occurs prior.
              all other contacts have been cleaned or replaced and yes, the biggest part of the voltage drop is due to the ignition switch
              GS850GT

Comment

Opening the ignition switch is easy...BUT only if you place it in a clear plastic bag before working on it.

Work inside the bag and you get to keep the tiny parts that come loose.

BTW

BBs will work if a bearing should get lost because you did not use the bag....
                Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
                X