530 chain conversion woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

530 chain conversion woes

So I picked up the 17/47 tooth front/rear sprockets, master link, 114 link RK X-ring chain, and a 6mm washer to convert to a 530 chain setup on my '79 gs750L.

I don't think the 6mm washer works because the the washer puts it halfway off the splines. I talked to Z1 and they recommended the parts I bought. Was I supposed to get a 1.25mm washer?
    Last edited by Guest; 08-25-2009, 10:02 PM.

hey midnightcafe, you dont need the spacer on the 79 750l. the guy at z-1 told me its only on the larger bikes; i only half believed him until i put it on my bike about 2 monthes ago. works great and youll notice the difference.

Comment

forgot the last part of your question... the 1.25mm wont work on our bike either, so now i have one lying in a box of bolts.

Comment

Originally posted by spyder2120 View Post
        hey midnightcafe, you dont need the spacer on the 79 750l. the guy at z-1 told me its only on the larger bikes; i only half believed him until i put it on my bike about 2 monthes ago. works great and youll notice the difference.
        Thanks, this was a redundant thread. I talked to Chris from Z1 today and he said the washer goes in front of the sprocket. I'm not sure but I believe this puts the nut off the threads a little and negates the use of the splined locking washer. So you're right about not using a washer because both gears (original and 530 set) do not have bossed mounting surfaces which means there is no need to offset the front gear if the rear is in the same new alignment.

Comment

hope you enjoy it. from what ive read there is a lot more life in that chain (with proper maint.), than the original 630. if you haven't tried it dupont makes a chain lube thats great and is o-ring friendly for the o-ring and x-ring chains. it dries in 10 min. and becomes like a wax. it doesn't fly all over the place like some of the cheaper chain lubes and is supposed to last longer. ace hardware is supposed to carry it but the stores around my area dont. lowes does however... they carry the teflon multiuse for about $6.00 or $7.00 dollars. they make a product called chainsaver for people who want to see a lot of goop on the chain so they'll feel like its working better, but they say there is no real difference in performance between the two.
          i found out about it on web bike world www.webbikeworld.com . like i said ive been more than satisfied with it. if you get a chance you should check out the review.

Comment

Working...
          X