Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

85 gs 700 gas tank woes??

Hello,
    My 85 gs 700es has been down for many years - and I'm now starting the process of getting her back on the road. And if I can ($) add a few upgrades to the suspension.
    1st big problem is the rusted tank!
    I'm planning on using an acid flush and then cream for the inside.

The tanks gas cap (had) a round rubber gasket of sorts attached to the cap end and was held by a screw on a small round plate. That gasket is completely wasted and in chunks. My guess is it is supposed to seal at the inner stop plate and prevent gas from slipping past the cap?
    Although the cap does seem to have another gasket of sorts at the base of the cap.

I've looked around at a couple of parts websites but can not find any listing for this rubber gasket. I'm hoping someone here will be able to provide a reference or replacement.

Or If anyone might know of a type of rubber that will stand up to gas, I thought I could cut out a replacement and make something that would work.

Well after a decade of sitting, I'm sure there will be a lot of work needed to get her running,
    I'll probably be asking many questions - so let me just say thank you now for any & all help.
    Jack

Here ya go, just finished that exact bike..

Put any information that you have to make your bike look great in here.

Any questions let me know

Joe

Comment

Hi Joe

Thanks for the reply and before I posted the question I ran a search & saw your post. Read through about 17 pages and let me say that is one great looking bike. You've given me some super ideas for detailing some parts.

Since you have the same bike - pull your gas cap out and you should see this rubber gasket held at the end of the cap.
      That is what I need to find or make??
      Any ideas??
      I've made a small plate from some aluminum and drilled a couple holes for the stock screws to go through on the petcock.
      Also I've got to plug the gas cap hole and sending unit hole openings for the acid/cream treatment.
      Can you recommend something to use for these??

Speaking of the sending unit - I pulled all the screws and got the cover and main plate off - but the wires go inside the tank and I have no idea how to pull out of the tank whatever is in there?

Comment

Jack,

I think you may have to buy the entire gas cap assembly, they are still available fom Suzuki for $75.00. As far as the wires they are for your fuel gauge, there should be a black and a yellow connected to the fuel sending unit. Go ahead and slowly remove the entire sending unit.

For the acid treatment I'm not sure, I had mine dipped by the bodyshop that did the tank. Hope this helps..

Comment

Hi Joe,
          Yes the sending unit, it appears corrosion may give me a good fight getting that out of the tank. For now with my limited $$ I plan on dawn soap and some bolts to be used as rinse & clean for the inside of the tank. Lots of gunk in there to get out. Then the cream treatment.
          Hey I think I saw you installed progressive springs in your fork and a brace.
          Can you relate the difference those 2 things did for the front end??
          I've seen many postings on whole front end swaps and thought I might try that at some point - but since you've updated the original fork let me know how that improved things for you. I figure I'll need to check the brake cylinders for rust and I know I need to put new seals in the forks.

Oh yea where did you get the fork brace and if you recall how much did it run?

Thanks again,
          Jack

Comment

Working...
          X