valve adj 84 1150 what a pain in the a*&

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

valve adj 84 1150 what a pain in the a*&

never did a valve adj on a 1150 es. back in the day my 82 1100 was a piece of cake. with a flat paper gasket and no body work it was a snap.
    well on the 1150 you have to remove body work plus that o ring type gasket might be great for not leaking but try putting the valve cover back on with the o ring gasket on. NOT. i had to first install the gasket on the cyl head then play for about a HR to get the gasket seated in the valve cover.
    and the kicker it did not need a valve adj. they were spot on.
    maybe i am just getting to old for this stuff [ 62]

3 words for you !!! shim under bucket .. I think you need some contrast of what a pain in the a#% REALLY IS!!! I'd play with a gasket and plastic body work before removing the camshafts any day
    SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

I just did the valves on my 1150 and it was a piece of cake. Toss some axle grease on the valve cover, insert the gasket and it'll stay while you drop it on the head.

Easy-peasey, Japanesey.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleMike View Post
        I just did the valves on my 1150 and it was a piece of cake. Toss some axle grease on the valve cover, insert the gasket and it'll stay while you drop it on the head.

Easy-peasey, Japanesey.
        ok mr smarty i did that. but their is so little room for the VC to go back on the engine the gasket kept poping off the VC. is the bike you did a ES ? cuzz the frame rail for the body work is in the way on my ES.

Comment

Originally posted by not a biker View Post
          ok mr smarty i did that. but their is so little room for the VC to go back on the engine the gasket kept poping off the VC. is the bike you did a ES ? cuzz the frame rail for the body work is in the way on my ES.
          Nope, an E, but I believe the frames are the same. I unbolted my ignition coils as well, to make more room.

Comment

Trippivot hit it on the head...waaaay easier than shim-under-bucket.

My ZX900 Ninja has an "o-ring-style" rubber gasket. I just put a few drops of gasgacinch here and there in the valve-cover channel...works great.

Comment

He's referring to the fairing support. It hangs down just far enough to be in the way.
              A couple of small zip ties around the crossbars on the V.C. to help hold the gasket in place makes it a little easier also.
              Thieves.....kill them all.

Comment

uncle mike

i did not move the coils,i am sure it would help. the reason is i did not want to disturb all that wiring on a 25 years old bike. a bundle of snakes just begging to cause new problems. that is the problem with getting old we worry about things that have not even happened.

Comment

Yeah, I just unbolted them and tucked them up over the frame. However taking them off completely wouldn't have been an issue, and I'm replacing them today anyway. Just another excuse to clean more connections and add some dielectric.

Comment

It helps to put a light layer of grease in the groove to act like a glue to hold the o-ring in place. Doesn't take much.

Be thankful you don't have much body work to remove. Can you imagine how much body work I would have to remove from my Wing?
                    Thankfully, it has hydraulic lifters and no valve adjustments are ever necessary.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by trippivot View Post
                      3 words for you !!! shim under bucket .. I think you need some contrast of what a pain in the a#% REALLY IS!!! I'd play with a gasket and plastic body work before removing the camshafts any day
                      Maybe it's just a thing with your particular engine and frame or body style: but if you're removing the cam shafts to adjust your S-U-B valves either you or I are doing something very wrong...

(later addition - maybe he's not talking about GS at all here? Some other kind of motor where the shim is actually under the bucket?)
                      Last edited by Guest; 08-27-2009, 01:46 PM.

Comment

i bought this bike last summer with 11,000 miles on it. it was running fine ,i just figured a valve adj and fresh spark plugs would be a good idea. a couple of valves were a snug 5 thou and a couple were a snug 3 thou.the spark plugs were almost loose. set the new ones to .028 . at least i know things are right.

Comment

i bought this bike last summer with 11,000 miles on it. it was running fine ,i just figured a valve adj and fresh spark plugs would be a good idea. a couple of valves were a snug 5 thou and a couple were a snug 3 thou.the spark plugs were almost loose. set the new ones to .028 . at least i know things are right.
                          That's the way to do it. Check your charging system and give your carbs a bath and adjustment too.

Comment

John, the next time you pull the valve cover, remove the breather cover first, if you didn't. Pull the coils too. Also, use Gasgacinch to glue the gasket to the valve cover & you won't have to mess with that issue again! Ray.

Comment

i had to first install the gasket on the cyl head then play for about a HR to get the gasket seated in the valve cover.
                              attach the gasket to the camcover otherwise you'll wanna kill something....

and if you take the breather cover off it makes life easier too .... - loads of space

Comment

Working...
                              X