next problem cracked wheel? will I DIE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

next problem cracked wheel? will I DIE?

I am thinking everytime I hear someone say something is wrong with there bike it happens to mine. So now I am looking for a spline. No wait it gets better. I was going to take my chances with the one I had until I can find one, it is not like I have even got to ride this bike after over a year of off and on work but then I started to put the wheel on after tire change and well take a look? Does it look dangerous to you or is it my imagination? how could this happen? Putting on the tire could not have done it could it? Need to know if this is safe. Oh yea it is a L too . So now the search is for 16" wheel and 850 spline?

2nd pic for ur pleasure

Comment

3rd pic and clarify. It looks like it has been smashed by a ton of force as you can see by that small o-ring area. and if u missed it there looks like a crack all way around the entire hub? if that is what that part is called

Comment

Marathon Man 1975: Is it safe?

A: No it's not safe.

Seriously send it to China and place a thread in the Wanted section
        1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
        Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

Yikes! Don't even think about putting that back on your bike, friend. It's toast

Terribly sorry about your string of bad luck, better things are just around the corner for you!

Comment

Looks like someone has been gully jumping................ My L has a 17" rear, any reason why you couldn't put a 17 on yours, other than you just got a new 16" tire?

Comment

you answered that Dan. And since the the discontinued chins that brings up another problem and I had them for 6 months before I had them put on.

Could tire machine do that much damage?

I actually took my one and only decent ride for 20 minutes ever on this bike and went 83 just to see if it could do it just once the day before I took the wheel off and had tired changed and saw this. maybe I am dead.

Comment

Nah, you're still around. Unless I'm dead!

Hunt around on Fleabay unless someone here has one. See them all the time and cheap, I might add.

Comment

I wouldn't say for sure that a tire machine could or could not inflict that kind of damage, but that crack widens as the rim is moved out. A tire machine would press the rim inward to break the bead on a tire. My vote goes for a PO doing something stupid like gully jumping as DanTheMan speculated.
                  I also agree that you would have to have a serious death wish to remount that rim and use it. Scrap it.
                  Don

Comment

Originally posted by buckeyemike View Post
                    you answered that Dan. And since the the discontinued chins that brings up another problem and I had them for 6 months before I had them put on.

Could tire machine do that much damage?

I actually took my one and only decent ride for 20 minutes ever on this bike and went 83 just to see if it could do it just once the day before I took the wheel off and had tired changed and saw this. maybe I am dead.
                    A tire machine could if it was the wrong one or the wrong setup. A lot of hydraulic pressure can be put in the wrong place and crack it. Almost any shop I've ever seen has a disclaimer for working on alloy wheels, that they take no responsibility for damage done during tire changes. Of course, the cracks could have been there previous to having the most recent tire change as well and you're just now noticing it. I change all my own tires so if there's damage I can only blame myself.

Comment

Looks like the land for the O-ring has cracked. If that’s the case, it is NOT a serious concern - a bunch of chicken little's around here. Also, this is not likely caused by a tire machine since it's no where near any clamp or pry point. You might want to look for a wheel but that wheel looks safe to me and I wouldn't be afraid to run it.
                      Last edited by Nessism; 08-27-2009, 11:31 PM.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                      X