Extra Parts in my Carb Rebuild Kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extra Parts in my Carb Rebuild Kit?

Hey, I'm almost done rebuilding my carbs and after all the carb rebuild tutorials I went through I could not find where these parts go. Is it possible my kit came with extra parts for a different model bike? I did see that the golden pin comes from the diaphragm but when I read about it, people said I could not dismantle this part because it was press sealed at the factory.

Here is a picture of the parts that are left over. If you can identifiy them it would be very helpful. Thanks-

First of all we have no idea what kind of bike or carbs you own but my guess is that they are CV type carbs based on the plug for the idle mixture screw. The large C-clip is inside the carb slide, the aluminum cap goes over the idle mixture screw, the black rubber washer goes over the plug under the float bowl gasket, the jet is an Air Jet that goes on the carb throat, and the other C-clips go on the linkage somewhere.

As an aside, I hope you did a full carb tear down including removing the idle mixture screws and replacement of the fuel tube O-rings - not typically included with after market carb kits.
    Last edited by Nessism; 08-27-2009, 09:29 PM.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Oh sorry, I wasn't thinkin when I posted i suppose. I have a GS850GL.

and yes I did replace the fuel tube o-rings.

Thanks for the info. I'll look into those to see if I understand where they go.

Comment

One more time...

Hi Mr. nanoluxx,

I'm going to type slowly so that you can understand.

CLICK HERE to get your CV carb O-ring set.

Then CLICK HERE for the guide to properly clean your carbs. You MUST completely disassemble the carbs and dip them in carb cleaning solution (Berryman's, etc) for 8 to 24 hours to get them really clean.

You don't need those inferior quality "carb rebuild kits". OK?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I have disassembled and dipped my carbs in Berryman’s Chem-Dip and have purchased / installed the O-ring set from that site. I did so using the guide you suggest but still had these parts left over. According to Nessism they have a place on my carb which was not specified in the guild. Either I have to many parts or the guide is not thorough enough. This is my question. Being new to motorcycles and even motors at that, I cannot make this judgment on my own.

As for not needing a carb rebuild kit, it was unfortunate that I bought and installed most of it before someone suggested my old brass parts are better.. but they also told me to keep them in and try it out. If it does not work swap them out.

I got the bike used and I can tell the carbs have been tampered with before me.. and being that the bike did not run, and there may be parts missing might be important in my restoration.

Sorry for waisting your time with my feeble questions. Perhaps this is a hobby for more experienced motorists.

Comment

As long as you followed the tutorial to the letter, I wouldn't worry about it. Did you have enough carb parts to reassemble it as per the guide ?
            Larry D
            1980 GS450S
            1981 GS450S
            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Sounds like you have done a fine job. Sometimes carb kits include things you don’t need – like those extra C clips. The only part you may need is that rubber donut washer, it’s used on some model of Mikuni carbs (like the larger 34 mm type) at the location shown below. If the aluminum plug on your carbs is sitting down below the surface of the gasket the washer should be installed over the plug and then the gasket on top of that. I don’t think your carbs take those washers but at any rate, that’s where they go if you should need them.

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Don't fret or take offense, please. These guys have been on this board a long, long time. I've only been on a short while and know that 98% of new GS owners in here who say they've "cleaned their carbs" mean they shot what they could see with a can of spray carb cleaner. And a lot of the same assume newer=better; there's not much on the brass parts to wear inside the carb, so usually a good cleaning and replacing o-rings will save you $$$ and maybe headaches as well if the new parts aren't up to snuff.

The more info you give, the better responses you get. Though you did say you'd followed the guides, you didn't say which. As pointed out earlier, you didn't mention which bike you had - then when you did, you didn't say what year. Pre-80's used VM carbs, 80+ used CV carbs. Not being as knowledgeable as many here about the entire GS model line I did at least go to the "model information" link off the front page to see that GS850GLs were not released until 80, so they must be CV carbs. Are you running stock airbox and exhaust on your bike? You can put that kind of info in your signature so you don't forget to mention it when you ask questions. You can also update your User CP with a location; maybe somebody willing to help is a nice, lazy weekend ride away from you?

The needle, snap ring, and e-clips should be part of the diaphragm assembly. They usually are removable - but there's probably no need to remove them unless you're re-jetting. Just spray it and wipe it clean and move on. And no, they don't go into that in the carb tutorials, so those parts would not be shown. That jet looks like an air jet there as has already been described, and is shown in the tutorial. Make sure you have one in each carb. Other than the air jet (and of course the pre-installed needle) I didn't see any of those parts in my CV rebuild (leaving the needle alone). Although my bike is a GS550, IIRC Suzuki used the same BS32ss carbs on all of the 80-82 550-850s with differing jets and needles. Sizes should be stamped on the jets, and those sizes can be matched to the sticky "factory carb spec" post in this forum.

Comment

My bad!

Originally posted by nanoluxx View Post
                  Sorry for waisting your time with my feeble questions. Perhaps this is a hobby for more experienced motorists.
                  Hi Mr. nanoluxx,

I'm afraid it's me who should be apologizing. I made an erroneous assumption and let my frustration show. I was out of line. I hope you don't let my lousy post color your feelings toward this excellent GSR community. I ask your forgiveness and hope we can still be friends.

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                    Hi Mr. nanoluxx,

I'm afraid it's me who should be apologizing. I made an erroneous assumption and let my frustration show. I was out of line. I hope you don't let my lousy post color your feelings toward this excellent GSR community. I ask your forgiveness and hope we can still be friends.

BassCliff
                    Sure thing Basscliff. I know how much you help out here and figured you just had a bit of frustration from so many simple questions. I would get a little upset if I spent as much time as you on a website just to have people asking the very questions the website supplied. I agree this is an excellent community and wouldn't have gotten nearly as far as I have without it. Therefore anyone who supports this site is automatically a friend of mine. =D

Thanks again for the info Mike and Ness. With this thread being done, I can move on with my bike. Gatta pick up a couple screw /washer replacements, fix the float heights, and do a bench sync and my carbs will be ready to go! I'm also restoreing my gas tankso once thats finished I should be ready for a test. Wish me Luck!

Comment

Good thread, would love to know how the fixes turn out
                      Last edited by Guest; 08-30-2009, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X