Engine differences: 1980 - 1983 GS1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elevatorman71 View Post
    hey josh i just picked up an 82 1100 is the hp the same as you were stating before 110? or what is it? i know the carbs are bigger but what am i looking at for hp? torque?
    The 1100 motor you have is a 8v shaft drive motor. The numbers above are for the 16v chain drive motors only.

Comment

Josh..yes..it is late..sorry buddy.
      1980 Suzuki GS550E, 1981 Suzuki GS 1100EX all stock, 1983 Suzuki GS 1100EX modified, 1985 GS1150E, 1998 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1971 Kawasaki Mach lll 500 H1, 1973 Kawasaki Mach lV 750 H2.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
        Its not the SAME crank, no, but it IS a roller bearing crank, like the 8v 1100 (and 550, 77-79 750, 850, and 1000.....) Durable, tough, heavy (which help with the grunt) bulletproof, so long as you dont overpower it. The drag guys will tell ya too. Yes, it would be nice to have a welded crank for piece of mind..but if you're just riding it as it was meant to be ridden to begin with, which is pretty aggressive for MOST people, then you'll have no problem.
        OK thanks!
        2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer (it's gone)
        1985 Suzuki Madura GV1200
        2 X 1980 Suzuki GSX1100ETs (next project
        s)

Comment

Originally posted by headsbikesmopars View Post
          There was an airbox change with the '82 model.
          What kind of airbox changes? Anything related to performance?

If you have an '80 model just have a good radius valve job performed and you are very good to go. You can't really go wrong with any model year. JMHO.
          Terry
          I don't know what is meant by a "radius valve job". Any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks!
          s)

Comment

Originally posted by quexpress View Post
            What kind of airbox changes? Anything related to performance?

I don't know what is meant by a "radius valve job". Any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks!
            The change was actually in the 83 model...they went from two round intake holes in the "snorkel" to an eliptical single hole... made for better, smoother, larger flow...

Comment

Honestly tho man, you are not gonna notice the difference. They are all fine machines, with pleanty of HP for an every day joe rider. If you were Johnny Racer, then maybe you could get more involved in power, but 10HP isnt a big gain either way..

Comment

Honestly tho man, you are not gonna notice the difference. They are all fine machines, with pleanty of HP for an every day joe rider. If you were Johnny Racer, then maybe you could get more involved in power, but 10HP isnt a big gain either way..
                I agree with you 100%, and the engine will most probably left stock. However these hp differences intrigued me and curiosity got the best of me. I had to know LOL!
                Thank you!
                s)

Comment

What he said...

Also,.. a radius valve job has only one angle and that is the 45 degree seat the valve seats (sits) on. Instead of having a top cut (angle) and botton cut (angle) above and below the actual seat, a radius cutter leaves a very nice, smooth radius cut above the 45 seat, flowing into the chamber and below the 45 seat, flowing into the bowl, and does this in one operation. Air does NOT like corners. A radius valve job will improve air flow over and around the valve at low and mid lifts. Mostly below the .250 lift range. The stock cams are in the .276 - .296 lift range anyway. A good valve job and back cutting the valves 37 degrees and you will have a good piece indeed. Many a GS 1100/1150 has run deep into the low nines with a stock unported head with good seats and valves. Like Josh said..if your intent is street riding only you don't need a big head. Take the head to a good shop for the best valve job you can find. If you want more..you can have it with a more effecient flowing head. A whole bunch more !

Terry
                  1980 Suzuki GS550E, 1981 Suzuki GS 1100EX all stock, 1983 Suzuki GS 1100EX modified, 1985 GS1150E, 1998 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1971 Kawasaki Mach lll 500 H1, 1973 Kawasaki Mach lV 750 H2.

Comment

Originally posted by headsbikesmopars View Post
                    Like Josh said..if your intent is street riding only you don't need a big head. Take the head to a good shop for the best valve job you can find. If you want more..you can have it with a more effecient flowing head. A whole bunch more !
                    Terry
                    It will be a street ride ... nothing else. However, when possible, I thrive to keep myself informed and know about the possible options.
                    Thanks Terry!
                    Normand
                    s)

Comment

Working...
                    X