Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

??? Blind Plug on Transmission Shaft ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

??? Blind Plug on Transmission Shaft ???

I'm in a bad way and need some info.
    The transmission shaft on my GS650GL sheared last September, and through a combination of bad luck and bad timing, I couldn't get my bike into the shop until 4 weeks ago. Suzuki no longer carries the replacement part, but I found one at a local motorcycle recycling yard.

Now, my mechanic tells me that he needs something called a "blind plug on the transmission shaft" to start the re-assembly process, but the part is on back-order.
    I've called one shop in my community to see if they've got it, but they don't even know what it is. Any ideas? I don't have a part #.
    I just want to get my bike back together and get a few miles in before the snow flies (up here in Edmonton, that could be any time).

Thanks in advance.

Maybe like Item #11 here?

Michael

P.S. This obviously isn't the part for your bike. I didn't see a year, so I just used my own bike.

Comment

That's probably it. BTW, I hope since the cases are split he is replace a lot more seals than just that one. There are lots of them in there and now would be the time to replace them all.

Comment

It's my understanding that you don't have to split the cases

Comment

Thanks for the info, to everyone.
          I think that part #11, which crwper pointed out (or its counterpart in my engine) may be the part, however, Bikebandit only shows the EX engine (ie. chain drive) rather than the shaft drive and the part I need is right in the end of the transmission shaft that is being rebuilt.
          The bike is being worked on by Universal Cycle in Calgary (where I bought hte bike last year) and given her age and the fact that she is not a common model (GS650GL) I'm not surprised that parts are taking a while to come in.
          I know that other seals and gaskets are being replaced while he's in there, but I'm getting really really antsy being without wheels while summer is slowly ebbing away.
          If things work out, I may be able to pick up a GS1150EF later this year and be able to take more time to work on the GS650 while still having wheels for the good weather.

Thanks again to everyone, and keep your collective fingers crossed that she will be out of the shop soon.

Regards,
          CZ

Comment

It's my understanding that you don't have to split the cases
            You may be right on this - I thought we were talking about a chain drive here. My mistake. I admit to knowing next to nothing about shafties. I probably never will either! 8O

Comment

Originally posted by Count Zero
              The bike is being worked on by Universal Cycle in Calgary (where I bought hte bike last year) and given her age and the fact that she is not a common model (GS650GL) I'm not surprised that parts are taking a while to come in.
              I get most of my OEM parts through GW Cycle in Calgary. However, my brother has had a set of points for his '79 550L on back-order for probably three months now (we finally decided to file down his existing points so he can ride until the parts come in). You could try giving GW a call -- maybe they have a different supplier or something.

GW also has a fairly complete set of microfiches. They can probably tell you exactly what part you're looking for.

Good luck!

Michael

Comment

Working...
              X