What's your favorite tires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's your favorite tires?

Just wanting to know what opinions you guys have on tire selection. My bike is an 81 GS650G. I'm fond of Dunlop 591's and 491's for older bikes.
    What's your experience?

I just got the 491 Elite II on both front and rear. They are great in dry or wet weather. I paid $260 plus mounting.

Comment

I use Dunlop Gt501's and love them

Check the search feature for this topic.
      There's a ton of posts and opinions

Keith
      Keith
      -------------------------------------------
      1980 GS1000S, blue and white
      2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Originally posted by briang1
        I just got the 491 Elite II on both front and rear. They are great in dry or wet weather. I paid $260 plus mounting.
        Dittos (just put a set of 491's on the GS last weekend replacing worn out Dunlop Qualifiers) have run nothing but Dunlops for the past 20 years with no problems.

Comment

I've used Metzlers on both my GS and Kaw Vulcan now for years and have no complaints. Long lasting and good traction.

Comment

Dunlop

My GT501's are the best tires I've ever used. Get good prices from either www.mawonline.com or www.ronayers.com :P
            1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Avon.

Avon venom. Just order them ahead of time. I'm not riding them now becouse I didn't have time to order them. I'm pretty sure they have better wet weather traction.

Comment

Right now I have a 491 front that was on the bike when I got it and a Kings on the rear, as it was the only thing available in the correct size when I needed a tire.

I was wondering what kind of mileage people were getting out of their tires.
                I had a Maxxis rear that was new when I got the bike and it only went for 5k. I was not really sticky but had adequate wet and dry traction but the King feels a little better.

I have run Dunlops on my Honda Sabre and I was getting about 16k out of a rear Dunlop Elite II 130/90/17 so I'm hoping that I can get the same kind of mileage on the GS750L. I also ran Dunlop F11's on the front and usually got 21k to a front before it started to cup badly. I was running a Metzler 880 last and had 14k on it and it still looked really good. The 880 also handled better than the Dunlop though both were good the Metzler had a little better feel to the front in the twisties.

Mike

Comment

Re: Avon.

Originally posted by chrisdnoel
                  Avon venom. Just order them ahead of time. I'm not riding them now becouse I didn't have time to order them. I'm pretty sure they have better wet weather traction.
                  The Avons are good! I have them on both the GS850 and the GS550.

Comment

Avon

Hey Jojo and Chris..... you've got my attention...I've also been interested in the Avon tires but have never tried them...have you used Dunlops? How would you compare them, if so?

By the way, Jojo, thanks again for sizing my photo for my online picture. I haven't forgotten!!
                    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

I have had great success with the Continental Twin K112 for the rear tire, have had no problems at all. This tire has great grip on wet or dry pavement and they have that classic tire look, nothing fancy just fantastic performance for a great price.

Scud

Comment

Metzeler ME33 Lazer on the front, Yokohama Tour Star on the rear. Can't complain, but they're worn out! Don't know what the mileage on them, but they are old. I've gotten my money's worth.
                        Kevin
                        E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                        "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                        Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Re: Avon

Originally posted by chuckycheese
                          Hey Jojo and Chris..... you've got my attention...I've also been interested in the Avon tires but have never tried them...have you used Dunlops? How would you compare them, if so?
                          Well Charlie, the Dunlops seem to have a somewhat "harder" compound. The Avon tires feel much "softer" and it feels like they have a little bit more grip, especially in wet conditions.
                          I don't think the GS850 had real problems with the Dunlops, but the steering feels more "neutral" with the Avons. And the grip is awesome!
                          Can't tell you anything about the mileage yet. Did about 1900 miles with them and they're still looking good. 8)

Comment

Working...
                          X