Fork dissambly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork dissambly

what size of driver is needed inside the fork on a 79 to remove the lowers?

I believe it's 19mm, however, lots of members (including myself) reverse a spark plug socket & attach it to a long extension - that works very well.

Mike
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
      I believe it's 19mm, however, lots of members (including myself) reverse a spark plug socket & attach it to a long extension - that works very well.

Mike
      Thank you, but I got the dampers out, and there isn't any 'flats' for a driver to fit in!

Comment

Thank you, but I got the dampers out, and there isn't any 'flats' for a driver to fit in!

A guy at work gave me this trick method for getting the bottom allen bolt out, Use an air impact wrench, spins it out so fast you don't need an inner wrench to hold the inner parts, assembly: reverse air impact, just dont go berzerk pounding it in, I had a GS1000 front damper, it would just spin, real stiff could NOT get it apart, borrowed my friends air impact quick trigger pull it was off, Another quick trigger pull it was on, I had been doing it the hard way for years.

Comment

You need a LONG extension, with a 19mm headed bolt or nut (the head of the bolt must be 19mm, doesnt matter the thread pitch or any of that, you're just using it to stop the damper rod from spinning) then at the very end of the fork you need either an 8mm or 6mm (i cant remember which it is on your bike) hex head to get the bolt that holds the damper out. Its got some nasty thread lock and will take nothing short of brute force to get it lose, or a nice air tool Its messy, but easy..

Comment

Originally posted by Jackrp View Post

A guy at work gave me this trick method for getting the bottom allen bolt out, Use an air impact wrench, spins it out so fast you don't need an inner wrench to hold the inner parts, assembly: reverse air impact, just dont go berzerk pounding it in, I had a GS1000 front damper, it would just spin, real stiff could NOT get it apart, borrowed my friends air impact quick trigger pull it was off, Another quick trigger pull it was on, I had been doing it the hard way for years.
            Glad you got it apart. I tried the air impact trick once & it didn't work for me...
            '85 GS550L - SOLD
            '85 GS550E - SOLD
            '82 GS650GL - SOLD
            '81 GS750L - SOLD
            '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
            '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
            '82 GS1100G - SOLD
            '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by crapwacker View Post
              Yeah; same deal on my 79 and 78. Nothing inside that fits a 19mm anything. I am not sure what years it actually works on, but not ours .

Rick

Comment

Working...
              X