Drive Gear Wear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drive Gear Wear

Pulled the rear wheel off the GS1100GK last weekend to replace the tire (first time since I bought the bike). Noticed the final drive gear (between the shaft and wheel was dry (signs of a minimal amount of old grease, corrosion and some wear mostly on the teeth on the rear wheel. (15k on the bike) I cleaned it up, greased it liberally with marine grade grease and put it back together. Anyone know how much wear is OK before it should be replaced ? Any tricks to remove/replace this gear ? How much lube should I be putting on these gears and how often ?

I don't have a shafie myself, but my guess is that there is a backlash tolerance that would tell quite a bit about the gears. They should be similar to the ring and pinion on a car, and I have set many of those up.

Comment

with just 15K miles on it total, I doubt there would be to much wear, the late model shafties have problems with excessive wear with the drive coupling, Suzuki changed the metal they are made from to a softer metal, the earlier gears are suppose to be a drop in change and will correct the problem, or regular (at least one a year) lubing will help prevent them from failing. Nick is the resident shaftie master and has alot of experience with this problem.

Comment

It should be lubed with thick stringie grease any time the rear wheel is removed

Comment

Working...
        X