1980 gs850 carb issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 gs850 carb issue?

my 1980 gs850 will only start with a small shot of starting fluid. once running it will idle at about 1500 rpms forever. if you turn the throttle engine will rev to about 3000 rpms then bog as if not getting any gas. turn the throttle further and engine will die. cylinders 1-3 seem to be running lean with 4 seeming to be ok. carbs have been disassembled and cleaned. did not change out any o-rings or gaskets as everything came apart easliy and seemed in good order...........upon further review i find when engine is turned over i have suction on 1-3 carbs on airbox side but nothing on #4
    Last edited by Guest; 08-30-2009, 03:01 PM.

First of all,

Sounds like it's time to take the carbs apart and CLEAN them. If you did not completely disassemble them and install all new o-rings, you are only inviting continued frustration. There is a guide in the Garage section of the forum that will help you clean your carbs properly. New o-rings can be purchased very inexpensively from www.cycleorings.com. And, ... PUT THE STARTING FLUID IN THE TRASH. That's right, get rid of it. It's far too easy to cause some serious damage to the engine with an extra squirt. Starting fluid is just a 'band-aid' to get the engine running. It is far better to fix what's wrong to eliminate the problem.

In your case, apparently the fuel pickup tubes for the 'choke' circuit are not working. They need to be cleaned, along with all the other passages that are buried deep inside the carb bodies. The carbs need to be completely disassembled and DIPPED. Depending on how long it's been since the bike has run on a regular basis, the DIP time can vary from several hours to a full day, regardless of the "15 to 30 minutes" suggested on the can of dip.

When the carbs "bog" trying to run the engine faster, are you running the bike on the road or on the centerstand? Is the airbox correctly installed? These bikes (especially the 850s) need to have a correctly-installed, sealed airbox to run right.

Follow the guide in the link above, continue to ask questions. We have all been there before, so we can definitely point the way.

Last edited by Steve; 08-30-2009, 03:22 PM.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

thanks bro, would lack of suction on #4 be caused by something clogged inside of carbs? carbs were disassembled and all parts in bags, labeled when i got bike. everything was sprayed with carb clean before reassembly. don't know if they were soaked though. i am doing this with airbox off, on center stand.

Comment

The bike will NOT RUN PROPERLY with the airbox off...

Comment

It'll never run right with the airbox off. It will be way too lean. Install the airbox and filter, make sure everything seals, then try it.

Comment

Working...
          X