drag racing only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

drag racing only

I am rebuilding/rejetting a set of stock carbs for my son's 82 gs1100. This bike will be used for drag racing only and is stock other than a 1166 kit, pods and a 4-1.
    I am going to put 130 mains in it and 47.5 air jets. I am going to put the needle clip in the lowest groove.
    How do these setting sound? Any advise?

Paul
    80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Sounds rich, but the only way to know is to test it. Temperature, elevation, etc cause too much variation. I played around with a 1100 that was similar to yours and 130 was too much main and the needles were far too rich on the lowest setting.

But being rich you won't break anything, just burn a lot of gas.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Sounds like a reasonable enough place to start, except that the 47.5 jets will work better as pilot fuel jets, rather than pilot air jets.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Needle is too RICH there & the main is too SMALL. I am guessing you will run a 4 into 1 with no baffle & no air cleaners? At least when you go to the track? That being the case, set the needles ONE clip from richest & START with a 145-150 main jet. Adjust the mixture screws with the bike idling & turn each one in or out till the motor idles the fastest it will idle on that cylinder & then move on to the next one. If the idle speed jumps up a lot turn it back down & continue to the next one. For street, use with the filters & baffle in, lean the needles one clip & go to 145 mains. Good luck. I'm guessing this will be a "learning" bike? Ray.
        Last edited by rapidray; 08-31-2009, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Ray, A learning bike of sorts. We campaigned a 9 second gs1000 a few years ago here in SW Ontario Canada and won quite a few racemeets. I sold that bike and now my son wants to set up his old street bike for the track. I do have extensive knowledge of the big Suzukis but just wanted a baseline for jetting to save headaches.
          I appreciate your help.

Paul
          80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

No problem Paul! If you ever need help with something right away, or parts, call me at 714-356-7845. Ray.

Comment

Working...
            X