Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'77 GS750 Electrical-Key Barrel?

ok, so i've tested the battery and everything tests in a good range

i take the headlight off in a whim and low and behold when i jiggle the wires a little bit, the left turn signal comes on, only problem was i was jiggling 50 wires at a time, so i narrowed it down to 4 wires that go in a plug and connect to another plug with 4 wires and then go into the instrument panel

my new questions are:

do those 4 wires sound familiar to anyone?

how do i change them out, or make sure the connection is good?

how do i get the dang instrument panel off to work on this?

TJ,

Maybe could identify the wires by the colors. Tell us the colors. Or maybe you could find a schematic.

WHen you say turn signal comes on when you wiggle wires; do you mean the turn signal should have been on but doesnt come on unless you wiggle some wires. You dont mean the the t/signal comes on and it should not be on, do you?

Left t/signal wire is Black wire in wiring harness (at least it is in 80 GS850G). And of course the ground wire is black/white.

Wires from t/signal the go to COnnector into the instrument panel might be for the t/signal indicators in the instrument panel, so not likley to be the cause of your problem.

Oh, maybe I shoud ask: specifically what is the problem you are troubleshooting anyway? The left turn signal not working .. ?

Tell us more. Many folks here willing to help.

Neena WI. I have been there (1989). A friend married a woman (name Carlson) from there and they live in Greenville now.

http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
    Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

why not just got to bikecliffs website.. select the gs 750 ( 8 valve) manual download.. download it to your documents and just go out there and look at the wiring diagram in the manual as your looking inside the bucket.. Thats what i did.. took laptop out and sat it right next to the bike and figurd it out.. Just a suggestion...
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

i'm troubleshooting why the bike won't start up, and i think i've narrowed it to the ignition wires in the instrument panel, i leave the turn signal on so i can see whether or not i'm getting power to the ignition while the key is in the on position

the diagram say the wire colors are red, orange, gray and brown

Comment

Have you checked (and replaced) the single main fuse and holder? My 77 would do the same thing.. it would pass enough current to light things up, but not enough to start the bike. Drove me nuts trying to trace it, as it would come and go, but i eventually found it, and replaced the glass main fuse with a blade type holder and fuse...

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
            Have you checked (and replaced) the single main fuse and holder? My 77 would do the same thing.. it would pass enough current to light things up, but not enough to start the bike. Drove me nuts trying to trace it, as it would come and go, but i eventually found it, and replaced the glass main fuse with a blade type holder and fuse...
            yeah, i did replace the main fuse, and tried 3 different new ones since you never can tell and it didn't solve the problem, i'll get around to replacing it with a blade fuse once i get this one, i could start the bike when i had teh wires in the right position, i'm just having trouble getting to it to see if the connection at the end of the key barrel is bad

Comment

ended up being the key barrel, a wire had worked it's way loose, resoldered it on, and bike has power

now the darn thing won't idle starts up good, but does not act like it's getting gas, ugh, the expensive life of a hobby

Comment

Slow down, break only one thing at a time and you'll be happier,.

How far did you disassemble the bike to troubleshoot this? Tank off? Check the petcock vacuum line. Did you disturb the throttle cables?
                1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

i took the entire instrument panel off to get to it, and disconnnected everything that was connected to it, then i took off the tach cable and sped cable to make sure everything looked ok on the inside the instrument panel

what do you reckon it could be?

Comment

Working...
                  X