12 pole vs 18 pole stator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12 pole vs 18 pole stator?

Any advantages to replacing my stock 12 pole stator/rotor with a later 18 pole version?
    Nothing wrong with mine right now(that I KNOW of) just wondering.

Scott

79 GS850N

No real advantage, but if you change the stator, you HAVE to also change the rotor.

If you mix the two systems, they just will not work. It does not matter if you have a 12-pole stator with 18-pole rotor or an 18-pole stator with a 12-pole rotor, they just don't work with each other.

Yeah, I know the rotors don't have that many actual poles, I'm talking about the system with which they are compatible.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve.

I know I'd have to change the rotor. I was just wondering if changing it would give me more higher output.

Scott

Comment

Interestingly I just did this change on my '79 GS850. My original stator went bad (12 pole) so I ordered a replacement from RMStator. I noticed that when it arrived it was an 18 pole stator but I tried it anyway and low and behold, no output with the original rotor! So I purchased a rotor from an '82 GS850 from fleabay and installed it and low and behold, voltage! I'm getting just over 13 volts at idle and just over 14 at 2500 rpms and up. 18 pole stator needs an 80 or newer rotor to work.

Comment

It might be easier to get newer stators in the future in case the older models are dropped from production. If you go used, there are more of the newer stators available than old simply because of production numbers
          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Just speculation, but I doubt the output would be noticeable, but im guessing it would be higher. In addition to attempting to fix already known charging issues Suzuki was having, its my contention that they switched to the 18 pole set up when they went away from kickstarters because they'd need the extra umph with electric start only bikes. IMO its a damn shame, if i were the Motorcycle Czar of the Universe..bikes would ALL have kickers still.. Not only is it damn handy when your batt gets low, or your charging system is suspect, but they're just old school cool IMO too..

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
              Just speculation, but I doubt the output would be noticeable, but im guessing it would be higher. In addition to attempting to fix already known charging issues Suzuki was having, its my contention that they switched to the 18 pole set up when they went away from kickstarters because they'd need the extra umph with electric start only bikes. IMO its a damn shame, if i were the Motorcycle Czar of the Universe..bikes would ALL have kickers still.. Not only is it damn handy when your batt gets low, or your charging system is suspect, but they're just old school cool IMO too..
              werd. I was riding with a friend with a dead battery. He couldn't shut it off or it had to be jump started because of no kick start. Made for an interesting day. A$$holes at walmart apparently can't take a break from the ONE car getting an oil change for 2 seconds to do a jump start.

Comment

Originally posted by kamesama980 View Post
                werd. I was riding with a friend with a dead battery. He couldn't shut it off or it had to be jump started because of no kick start. Made for an interesting day. A$$holes at walmart apparently can't take a break from the ONE car getting an oil change for 2 seconds to do a jump start.
                If it starts up easily with a jump or good battery it is fairly easy to push start (or at least my 650 is)

Put it in 2nd gear (1st will often skid instead of start)
                Choke on, key on.
                Pull the clutch
                Both hands on the handlebars ... Push it (running beside it)
                Let go the clutch (still running beside it)
                As soon as it starts, pull the clutch again (so it doesn't take off)
                Use the front brake to stop it.
                put the side stand down, and put the bike on it
                put it in neutral (ok, you can let go the clutch now)

If you have a little hill to roll down, or someone else to push you, you can do it while sitting on the bike, which makes it even easier.

When I got my bike it had a bad connection in the stator (so it was running on only 2 legs) and a bad R/R.
                The battery was pretty shot too.

At first, it would start for a couple of minutes after I charged it, but as the battery kept degrading, it would eventually only start right off the charger.
                Eventually it would not start at all.

Once started, however the charging system made just enough juice that it ran ok. (although the lower than normal voltage meant that it ruined the battery even more)

But the above method always worked.

I rode it for almost a year with almost every start a push start till I got the charging system straightened out.
                (even if I had a car and jumper cables available, it was less hassle to just push start it, once I got good at it)

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post

Amen, brother. I wish they would at least offer it as an option.

Comment

This is good news for me. I have an 18 pole stator and rotor that would fit nicely into the '79 should the occasion arise. I've read here on previous threads this is possible but have not heard of anyone doing it. Nice to know it works.
                    1979 GS850G
                    2004 SV650N track bike
                    2005 TT-R125 pit bike
                    LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Working...
                    X