sticky shifter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sticky shifter

Yesterday the shifter on my 82 550l started sticking. The gears will still shift but sometimes the shifter will not return to the original position when moved up or down. I searched past posts on this problem and the few there were never seemed to come to a conclusion about what was causing the problem. I was just wondering if any of you have seen this before and what you did to fix it.

If I remember correctly, that model uses a linkage setup to connect the shifter shaft to the shift lever. Start by soaking the crap out of it with WD40, Kroil, etc. Pay attention to the pivot point on the frame post.

Comment

Good call by chiphead. See below, Lube or take apart & clean and lube #35 where it piviots on the frame. Also check heim joints (one is #30) and also where the shift shaft goes through the countershaft cover.

Comment

thanks for the ideas guys i took #35 off the shaft and sure enough there was tons of rust underneath. I cleaned it and lubed it with some never seize and it now shifts better than it ever has.

Comment

amontyg
          ok after you lube all the pivet points then look at no# 25
          im having the same prob with my gs750
          did you take the sprocket cove off the bike to change front sprocket
          if so did you put the rubber gasket back in with the spacers intact
          mine you can shift up no prob but must pull up first to shift down quick
          just a lil some thing to look forward to ,

Rodman

Comment

Working...
          X