new here 81gs850g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new here 81gs850g

Hi all. I'm new here. Just recently got an 81 gs850g. Has about 14k on it. So far havnt really done much to it except for the basics. Resealed the airbox and filter and velocity stacks. Cleaned carbs. Cleaned up the wiring and grounds. Put new turn signals on it. Ran seafoam through probably 6 full tanks of gas as well as the crankcase before doing an oil change with new filter. The plugs. Wires. And coils were replaced recently. Put a set of drag bars on it. Did the quick throttle mod. As for the exhaust it has the stock pipes on it with a set of what looks like glasspack mufflers on it. I fixxed all the leaks. As of right now the needle jets are at about 3 turns out. The bike runs great once its warmed up. But pretty crappy until then. Also. Every now and then I hear a rattling noise. It comes and goes. Any ideas as to what this is? And any tips as to what I should do next?

We like pictures.

Eric

Comment

Sorry. Currently at work on my blackberry and won't be able to upload pics until I get home. Also I need to find a tach cable and housing.

Comment

Welcome !!

Sounds like you've done alot of work. Have you adjusted the valves ? Being cold-blooded and hard starting is a sure sign of a needed valve adjustment.
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Sorry. Currently at work on my blackberry and won't be able to upload pics until I get home. Also I need to find a tach cable and housing.

Comment

Havnt adjusted the valves yet. Is this hard to do? I can't open the basscliff site I think It was

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. piester,

I just wanted to stop by and say "Hi". You'll find lots of GS850G lovin' on my website.

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

For the rattling, obviously you should check the whole bike over from end to end for loose bolts, exhaust shields, etc. Can you generalize the area the sound is coming from (yeah, I know, "down there")? Any commonality to it? Only when you're moving, only in certain gears, only at certain RPM ranges? Worse when cold/hot? A couple of common sources are those loose exhaust shields - which you may not even have at this point - and the cam chain tensioner.

Check your link for BassCliff's site. I've never had any issues with it but network outages can cause momentary inability to reach it I'm sure:

Comment

No exhaust shields anymore. Sometimes it sounds like its comming from the kickstand/shifter area. Sometimes it sounds like its comming out of the exhaust. I backed the needle jets out a half turn this morning after it warmed up and I havnt heard it since then. Oh. And where can I get a tach cable for cheap? There's no suz dealer around here. Anyone got one they wanna get rid of?

Comment

When you get to a real computer, check out Cliff's site. There are links to all kinds of dealers and a tutorial for an 8 valve adjustment. I've never done one since mine has 16 valves but it can't be to hard......alot of guys here have done it.
                    Larry D
                    1980 GS450S
                    1981 GS450S
                    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

I adjusted the carbs a bit more and did the coil relay mod. Much improvment. I think I may go through and clean all the connections tonight and bench sync my carbs. Won't be able to do the valve adjustment for a while. Any other tips for me?

Comment

Originally posted by piester View Post
                        No exhaust shields anymore. Sometimes it sounds like its comming from the kickstand/shifter area. Sometimes it sounds like its comming out of the exhaust. I backed the needle jets out a half turn this morning after it warmed up and I havnt heard it since then. Oh. And where can I get a tach cable for cheap? There's no suz dealer around here. Anyone got one they wanna get rid of?

i just ordered one off of ebay for 20 bucks with shipping.

Comment

i dont much care to have them on it. the exhaust was in horrible shape to begin with. i doubt anyone is gonna read this as im not really in need of much help at all but thus far i have... cleaned the carbs, bench synced them. sealed the airbox and boots on both sides of the carbs. did the coil relay mod. cleaned up a lot of the wiring. ran sea foam in every tank of gas thats gone through it. it has definetly helped. also ran sea foam in the crank case before i changed the oil. put a set of drag bars on it that i made. yes i know metal working. and no they arnt a tent pole or anyhting like that lol (i live in a redneck town and things like that tend to happen around here.) did the quick throttle mod. put new mufflers on and fixxed my exhaut leaks. and today i ditched the stock headlight for a set of high discharge fog lights running directly from the battery through a relay. much much improvement. no high beams but i didnt use them to begin with. all in all the bike is running 10 fold better. still cold blooded but i havnt adjusted the valves yet. contemplating a complete rebuilb this winter. or swapping a chain drive 1100 or 1150. who knows.

Comment

Working...
                          X