need idea - bad starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need idea - bad starting

First off, let me say thanx to all for your support during my brain cancer recovery - it was wonderful and won't be forgotten.

Second, I am having an odd problem with the bike, a 1982 GS650L, essentially stock motor, normal airbox and filter. Cold, it starts right up. But once warm, the starter turns over very slowly if at all!

Once pushed to start, it runs very well. And it's not the relay mod, since it was doing that before and I though maybe insufficient coil power might be the problem. It wasn't - same as before except it does run better overall now with the relay mod done!

So before I try to sort this out, any ideas?

For those of us who don't know you, what's new on the bike and what's old? My first thought is heat warping of old intake boots and o-rings, or something along those lines. But I don't know if yours are old. Or the plug caps, or the carb internals, etc.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Starter motor turning very slowly when warm sounds like either poor starter connections, brushes or the starter's stator or armature are damaged (electrical side of things)or, the bearings on your starter need replacing, binding when hot. All these problems can happen from repeated bouts of cranking and getting the starter hot trying to start the bike.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
        For those of us who don't know you, what's new on the bike and what's old? My first thought is heat warping of old intake boots and o-rings, or something along those lines. But I don't know if yours are old. Or the plug caps, or the carb internals, etc.
        ?????

He's got an electrical/starter problem.

Mine's edging towards the same thing, think it's time to get one rebuilt!
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
        X